Of course my machine could NOT sew through that thick a styrofoam. No way I could get that under the footer. So it was back to my big needle and handsewing time. Ouch, my fingertips still hurt... I used a linen thread (turned out this was sturdier than nylon) and pricked my way along.
But what a lovely dimensional structure that gives! Non, je ne regrette rien...
Today I planned two things.
First, I need three "skulls" made of paper mache. I had all my supplies gathered: the wallpaper glue in a bucket stood ready, about two monts worth of newspaper AAANNNND - some really big balloons, circumference one meter!
I went with the balloons into the cellar, best place to make messes, placed two of them onto some cardboard boxes which stood there and put the last into a seond bucket to keep it from rolling away. Then I started to rip the newspaper into small pieces and - BANG! First balloon, all by itself, decided to blow it! Whew. Okay, I have more where this comes from, for now there are still two of them left.
So I stuck the paper into the bucket with the glue, put it onto the balloon, took next paper... you get the picture. I was about ten pieces into work when BANG! my working balloon TOO blew it. Ever imagined the mess a gluey, gooey, papercovered balloon makes when it goes pop? My luck the cellar has a rather low ceiling, so I just needed a stool to reach it and wipe away the splashes of glue up there...
Two down, one to go. I learn from my mistakes, so I covered the top of the bucket which doubled as working stand for the ballon with some newspaper. Just in case there was something that made it pop. And started over with the third one.
You see where this is going, don't you?
Okay, let's just say, this one lasted longer... making an even bigger mess.
I was really frustrated then... just until I discovered the two inflatable waterballoons rolling around in the garden. The girls never clean up after themselves...
Long story short: I now have two nearly dry skull-shells which I'll still have to make thicker, but the thing itself is working. Phew.
To celebrate this, I laid upon myself the completion of the outer shell: sewing a real long rectangle into a tube, stuffing it with... well, stuffing, and sewing it - again by HAND - to the edge of the squirtleturtleshell. Took me only about two hours, which is about one hour shorter than quilting it... well, whatever. So, now I give to you the completed outer shell, tadaaa!
And the inside:
That's all for now, folks, tomorrow I'll have to do other things, no sewing for me, no glueing paper mache...