Some of my favorite projects lately have been my little zombie rag doll girls; I first posted awhile ago (May) about my first attempt at one here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=433550.0#axzz376RKY6Uh
I ended up giving the first girl some removable clothes and she looks so much better maybe happier?
here she is in her new outfit
My next girl has an attached bubble skirt and while it was a wee bit faster afterwards I decided to stick with the removable clothes. I also started giving the girls longer hair and no bangs.
This little zombie gal is one of my favorites, I got to use up my huge stash of red wool yarn including some nice Cascade Yarns Magnum. Her skirt is made from a skull print fabric and tulle that was cut off of the bottom of a skirt I made for myself (that was way too long and tight and I could barely walk in it).
For this zombie girl I used more of dark red tones and purple for the hair and her ruffled sheer cowl neck dress was made from a sleeve! Pretty much a cut across the top and one at each side for her arms; it was probably the fastest doll dress I have ever made. Her little sweater vest was made from an old leg warmer originally I wanted to do another dress but the circumference of the leg warmer was a bit too small.
This girl got some more colorful hair with greens, blues, and purples. Her little wrap skirt is just made from a pleated long rectangle of fabric with some satin ribbon top stitched along it with extra length on each side for ties.
I started to realize I was falling into color themes with the girls but I didn't really care it was a lot of fun going through my scrap yarn stash and fabric and mix and matching them together. For this girl I did here in purple and pink tones, the purple and black lace print fabric for her legs is one of the treasured fabrics in my stash. You know the type, the one that you love so much you don't want to accidentally "ruin it" and make something that is bound to turn out all wrong, or once you complete it you find a much better project for it; luckily I have 3 yards and someday *I will* make a dress. Her dress is made from a scrap of black polyester lace from a skirt and I crocheted her a double wrap cowl to match her legs and hair.
This one has another skirt made from the bottom edge of an old project (same project as the red head zombie), I think I can probably get another two skirts out of it for the dolls. I didn't have nearly as much white scrap yarn on hand since last summer I experimented with solar dying and used up all of my white wool; the plied acrylic yarns give the hair a much different look over the ones that were made with single ply wool.
This girl has a very basic pleated black felt skirt; I went really crazy overboard with the hair for both amount of yarn used and color so I wanted her clothing to be a little more minimalist. Her hair is mostly Lanaloft Bulky by Brown Sheep, which was leftover from a ripple stitch rainbow afghan I knitted up last winter; but some of the green is yarn from the dollar bin at the local craft store (who can resist 1 dollar yarn?).
Currently I'm working on a pink tones zombie girl and another rainbow one (this time for myself) I have extra faces painted and a bin that is still overflowing with remnant yarn. One of my favorite aspects of this series of zombie dolls is trying to make them clothes from my old clothes that are just sitting around waiting to be donated to the thrift store. I've been switching up the technique for attaching their hair; I still haven't found my favorite but one that I go back to a lot is a double crocheted trapezoid type shape that I stitch down to the back of the head and then I stitch down a crocheted chain along the front hairline to give it a nicer edge. Somehow this feels easier than a crocheted circle cap; my crocheting skills are pretty minimal and the trapezoid shape seems to let me control the size a bit better. I'm altering the pattern a bit to give the girls legs and arms a bit more shaping on the ends but overall it has been a very fun project.