Here's the finished wrap skirt.
I created a semi-circular pattern from newspaper and used that to cut the fabric. The waist cloth was originally a large piece of scrap that I had picked up a long time ago. Once I folded that over, I made sure to iron it so it would stay the same, then I fit the skirt piece up into the waist piece and sewed it. I decided to add some blue cloth underneath, to make the skirt a little heavier and opaque. I also added a hook-and-bar on the inside of the skirt to the right of the button to hold the extra wrap part in place. Since this skirt was made spur of the moment from some discount fabric I fell in love with, I would suggest either getting more than a yard or fabric that does not have stripes, because the way I cut the fabric makes the stripes on the front diagonal and the ones in the back vertical.
Oh yes, the button was a wonderful find from a local consignment store. It was a one of a kind. Here's a close-up.FEBRUARY 15, 2006
I finished another wrap skirt! This one is for a swap, Ongoing Stuff I Can Make Round 2. It was MUCH
easier to make this one since all I had to do was lay out the one I owned and cut around that. I think this one turned out much better, cleaner. It's also reversible with non functional buttons on the polka dot side. So the "real" ones button towards the wearer. Weird, but it works if you need it, too.
The clouds fabric was in the quilting section of JoAnne's and was $4 a yard, the dancing teeth was discontinued so it was $2 a yard, and the polka dot.... I think that was in the discontinued section or discount section.. I'm not sure. I think it was $2 a yard. The buttons were $1 at Crowded Closet, a local thrift store.
However, the next time I made one of these, the fake buttons will NOT be the backside of the real buttons. It makes buttoning somewhat difficult, but I didn't even think about that when I was stitching them. APRIL 7th, 2006
Yet another. For this one I was smart and learned from my last mistake. Don't sew the buttons back to back. I offset them. Unfortunately I didn't think about the fabric for the waistline. It was less stiff than the other fabrics I used so it bunched and ended up being pulled a little to one side. I also found out that the longest I can make is 26". I think it's 26, I'll have to look back in my notes.
This one was made for the Ongoing Stuff I Can Make Swap 3.
I just noticed that I've changed the button positions every time. My first one had one giant button, the second one had two buttons horizontally arranged and now this one has them vertically arranged.