I actually made this in January but I'm just now getting the chance to post!
This is an outfit I designed and created for this past school year's SCAD challenge. If you're unfamiliar with what the SCAD challenge is, it's a competition for juniors and seniors in high school in different categories such as 2-d art, photography, and fashion. The winners get scholarship money!
This year's fashion challenge was to create a garment out of a white bed sheet. It didn't matter what we did with the white sheet (dye, burn, rip, whatever) but the garment had to be at least 70% bed sheet.
So I flipped through my designs with my art teacher, trying to decide on one. And when he saw this, he immediately said that this is what I should do:
This design was inspired by traditional oriental style mashed up with todays pop culture. The first problem I had was the fact that I had very specific needs for the fabrics (the outfit had to be silk and the boots had to be leather). Obviously the first thing that comes to mind when you think of a bed sheet is a standard cotton sheet and that just wouldn't cut it. However, SCAD didn't specify cotton sheets. So silk sheets where an option (but expensive)! Secondly, the sheet had to be white. I'd never dyed anything before and I was definitely terrified of my first dying job being with silk to get pure red and pure black! My mom, art teacher, and fashion teacher were supportive, though and so the process began!
The dying part was the part I was most afraid of. If I messed up, I'd have to purchase another sheet for a second attempt (I bought a king size flat for a little over 100 on ebay so I didn't wan that cost again) and more silk dye.
We cut the sheet in half, and stitched the ends to protect it from fraying and dyed the red half because it was the lighter color. Surprisingly, it turned out perfect! This gave me a lot of confidence for the black. The first attempt, we got a really gross grey-green color. We bought more dye and tried again on the same sheet. The second time we got a really pretty dark mauve-ish color. I almost wanted to keep that material but it wasn't what we needed! So third attempt my mom and I basically said "screw instructions" and improvised. We poured a whole bottle of black RIT dye into a trash bag, filled it with enough water to almost cover the fabric, and let it soak, turning it and rearranging the fabric inside every so often. It got pretty darn close to black! and next to the red, its really hard to tell that it's really just a super dark purple (but who really gets perfect black when dying? ) Because we dyed it incorrectly and were afraid to truly set it, if you get the fabric wet, the dye will transfer. buttttt not a huge detail when you just need it to look awesome.
Next came figuring out what I was gonna do to actually make this. I wanted the piece under the cape to be one single piece - like a strapless bodysuit - however, I couldn't find any patterns even close to what I wanted and even if I did, they'd be for knits. So instead, I pulled out a pattern for bloomers and a pattern for a corset and whipped those up. Of course, the corset with left without boning and stitched up the front so the only closing was in the back (which I did with hooks instead of holes).
I then found a jacket pattern which I redrafted by lengthening it (by a lot obviously), removing half of it, and then widening the sleeves.
After a week and a half of working on it, I organized a simple photoshoot and tada!
My originally plan was to make the boots as well (I bought the pleather for it too) But I ran out of time and the shoes weren't going to be judged. It was more of a presentation desire than a do-or-die requirement. Here's other views. Enjoy!
Have a wonderfully fantastic day!
Oh! I almost forgot! For those who might wonder how it did, I was a finalist! I didn't place but I was proud to be in the top 6 out of all the things submitted world-wide!