I must encourage any interest in my knitting habit! And his birthday is coming up. So I've ordered 1400 yds of worsted weight yarn (the 90% wool/10% mohair from http://www.beaverslide.com/, which comes highly recommended).
But now I need a pattern. As far as I know, Eunny has never published the pattern for the beauty I linked to above (wrong weight of yarn anyway). Durow, from Magknits, is a possibility, but not quite what we're looking for. And there's a new free pattern on the Vogue website that's closer (it's down right now, so I can't find the link).
But there must be a zillion such patterns out there....right? And I'm willing to pay for a pattern or book, too! Not that willing to do a whole lot of redesign/mods, as I'm not super-experienced with cables.
The yarn was Shine Sport, a slightly heavier weight than called for, so had to make one fewer increase/decrease (otherwise I ended up with these bulgy, duckfooted booties).
I only put one button per bootie for some reason - can't remember why, but I like it that way! And because I was really uncertain of just what size a baby's feet are, I made the straps adjustable by making two button loops on each strap - you can see better pictures on my blog.
Thanks for looking! Comments appreciated, of course!
*Edit: Cutest design ever, I mean - merely a successful execution.
I finally finished this! Knitting took forever, b/c of my own distractability. Blocking took forever because of the freakin' *rain* and then the *not drying* and then the *mildew* with the musty smell and then the vinegar washings and dryings and the whole saga's on my blog if you're interested.
But back to the knitting. The pattern is Rusted Root from Zephyr Style, of course http://www.zephyrstyle.com/catalog/item.cfm/2367447/3289215. Except with many modifications including, but not limited to: a subtly re-arranged neckline no puffed sleeves elbow-length sleeves more shaping ...and the fact that I never managed to follow the stitch counts given, like, ever.
The yarn is KnitPicks Main Line in dusty lavender.
If you want to read far too much detail about this project, plus more pics, head on over to my blog....
In the meantime, enjoy!
(I really do like the sweater, in spite of the mildew grumbling, and I think I'll wear it a lot!)
I've had this problem a lot with cotton sweaters, actually, but mostly store-bought ones, where I'll just give up on the handwashing and toss it in the machine. For my own handknits, I won't be so cavalier!
So I made rusted root with Knit Picks Main Line (75% cotton, 25% wool) at a tight gauge, so it's pretty dense. Washed it, rolled it up tight in a towel to get most of the water out, pinned it out to block. Took a couple days to dry, even thought the weather was hot and dry, but that was fine.
BUT just before it finished drying out on the deck in the sun, there was this sudden downpour and my sweater was completely drenched. I let it dry a couple more days (in the sun), but by then there was this musty, wet smell.
Of course I can just hand wash and block it again and let it dry another couple days and hope for the best - perhaps park it next to the dehumidifier.
But are there any additional tips you in your collective wisdom can share? Is there any way to remove the smell without washing? Anything to put in the wash to ensure the smell goes away? Any tips on drying cotton sweaters more efficiently?
I don't know why it took me so long to knit. But then, it's been so long, I've probably just forgotten why. I think I started it in early October.
It also took me forever to post. I took this photo (above) today, but finished knitting it - I mean finished-finished - maybe 3 weeks ago?
I finished it the first time back at the beginning of April, and even wore it a couple of times. But as you can see it had this cropped thing going on that I didn't like. So I eventually got around to picking up st and adding a couple inches of ribbing to the bottom. I like it much better now.
Now, of course, I have to wait until fall to wear it.
The pattern was loosely based on Veste Everest from IK Fall '05 (), but I really wanted a deep v-neck. So I redid that part of the pattern.
And, oh yeah, I think my yarn was a really different gauge, too. The yarn is just some sportweight(?) brown wool that I bought cheaply in Peru a couple years ago. Knitted on #4 needles.
This was my first big cable project. I love cables!
I haven't yet posted the FO on my blog, but you can see progress reports here.
Looks like I still need to sew up the point of the V, huh?
Any ideas for what I can do with an old swimsuit? It's worn out in spots (so no good as a swimsuit any more) but not all over. It's really good quality lycra swimsuit material. But obviously there isn't a lot of it. All I can think of is a little zippered pouch.
I hate to just throw it away. Thanks for any ideas!
Ok, they're actually the Rib and Cable Mitts from IK Spring '06. But the colors remind me of tidepools.
Made with some unknown hand-dyed alpaca yarn.
I'm pretty happy with them. Though, of course, I managed not to make them identical and there's this funny bulge on the left thumb where I had too many stitches and had to decrease. (I could have frogged back but, you know, no.)
These are the slippers my Grandma used to make for everyone in the family, every Christmas and sometimes birthdays, too. She hasn't knitted for years, but it wasn't until she passed away in December at the age of 102 that I decided I needed to make them myself. I'd lost the pattern, so just figured it out for myself (not hard).
They're not the cutest, most glamorous slippers you've ever seen, I'm sure, but they're comfy, warm, outrageously simple, and kind of addictive to knit.