A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,733
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

  Show Topics
Pages: [1]
1  Halloween / Halloween Costumes / Wednesday Addams on: November 11, 2012 10:23:48 AM

For Halloween this year, my oldest daughter was Wednesday Addams.
I found a plain black dress at a thrift store for $5.

I covered the collar and cuffs with white fabric.
I decapitated an old baby doll, and made a matching dress for it.

I also made the black yarn wig.
The braids were a little too thick, but it was my first wig, so I was happy with it  Smiley

2  Halloween / Halloween Costumes / Sally Stitches on: November 11, 2012 09:54:50 AM




This year my daughter was Sally Stitches from the movie The Nightmare Before Christmas.
I wanted to start with a basic dress, so I used pattern #4927 ("It's So Easy-Simplicity")
The only changes I made to the pattern was adding 3-4 inches to the length of each sleeve, and 4-5 inches to the length of the dress.  I used white fabric, cutting out the front of the dress, and the two back pieces of the dress. I stitched the two back pieces together, then sewed the front to the back at the shoulder seams.  Using pink, yellow, teal, and black, I cut out the different shapes and did my best to imitate the look of Sally's dress (though I used brighter colors than in the movie). First I pinned the pieces to the white front of the dress, and when I was finally content with how they looked, I sewed them in place; then I did the same thing with the back of the dress.  
Next I sewed the front to the back at the side seams.  
I painted black lines on the yellow sleeve using black fabric paint and let it dry before sewing it to the dress.
I also used black fabric paint to add the details to the rest of the dress; swirls & triangles in the top pink sections; stripes, circles, dots, etc in some of the other sections.  For the big black circles (in the teal sections) I used black fabric and attached it with double-sided fusing stuff.  
I did the same thing for the 3 small square "patches" on the dress.  
I used black yarn  to add the stitched/ragdoll effect (I actually did this step after Halloween.  I didn't have a chance to finish it before we went trick-or-treating...but a couple days later I added it anyway, lol).
I snipped at the ends of the sleeves and the hem of the dress, giving it that raggedy look.
Under the dress she wore a white long-sleeved shirt; I used black permanent marker to draw stitches on the sleeves. I used black fabric paint to draw stitches on her thick white tights.  I drew stitches on her face with a black makeup crayon.
I had planned on making a yarn wig for the Sally costume, but ran out of time...very typical of me,lol.
3  Halloween / Halloween Costumes / Jack Skellington on: November 11, 2012 09:36:17 AM
For Halloween, my son was Jack Skellington (from The Nightmare Before Christmas).

I went to a thrift store and searched for the smallest adult size jacket that I could find, since there was nothing even close to what I had in mind in the children's sizes.  The jacket I bought was red, so I washed it in a color remover first, then dyed it black.
The adult small was still too big for my scrawny little 7 year old, so I sliced it in half straight up the back and sewed it back together, bringing it in about two inches. Then I repeated the same steps with the next two seams that were in the back.
He wore a plain white shirt under the jacket.
For the pants I used a pair that Dylan already had in his closet, but rarely wore.  They were light grey, so I dyed them black as well.
I used white fabric paint for the white pin stripes on the jacket and pants.
I cut the bottom of the back of the jacket to look jagged, like the tail of Jack's jacket.

I drew the bat bowtie onto card board, cut it out and covered it black fabric, then used white fabric paint for the eyes and lines.
He wore a pair of black gloves with skeleton hands on them (bought at Wal-Mart for 97cents)
For the head, I know many people have done paper mache, but I didn't have enough time left for that. So I went to the grocery store looking for ANYthing that I could MacGyver into a Jack Skellington head, lol.  I ended up buying two large white plastic bowls for $2 each.  
My husband cut a large hole out in the bottom of one of the bowls for Dylan's head to go through.  On the other bowl he cut out two small holes for the eyes. He stuck the two bowls together using a strong double-sided tape. Then he drew the eyes and the mouth on with permanent black marker.
Pages: [1]


only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search



your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using AutoSave in Microsoft Office 2010
Making Image Adjustments in Photoshop CS4
Using the Rotate View in Photoshop CS4
Using Content-Aware Scaling in Photoshop CS4
How to Create a Video in PowerPoint
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping




Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...






Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2014, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.