Heh... If you knew how much of an embroiderer I'm not, you wouldn't be saying that. I just bought some tea towels at my friendly neighborhood Hobby Lobby. Then I found some pics of each of the Girls on the internet, and traced/free-handed them onto the tea towels with pencil. Then I just stitched over the pencil (mostly with a split stitch). Then came the real test -- throwing them in the washing machine to get the pencil out and see if they would actually stand up. (They did -- yay!)
If I feel really ambitious, one of these days I'm taking on TROGDOR and Eh!Steve, vintage days-of-the-week style.
The bulk of the paint is just gold pearl Tulip fabric paint, with some other random fabric paint I had lying around thrown in.
do you have any other ideas b/c we want to look unique...there will be enough harrys and hermoines!
Actually, about a month ago I was freaking out trying to think of something to top or at least come close to my golden snitch costume from the last book release (see link above). The Bertie Botts idea hit me in a flash one morning while I was making breakfast. However, my younger brother has decided to go as Sir Cadogan. We've ordered some little kid's plastic knight armor, which we'll cut up and duct tape back together so it'll fit him, and we bought this huge, long, awesome freaking ugly picture frame at the Salvation Army for $5, which he will somehow either hold up or strap to himself. So yeah, I would suggest finding a huge picture frame and going from there. That's all I got. :-)
No, your eyes do not deceive you. You are looking at Teen Girl Squad tea towels. I've been very interested in embroidery lately (mostly as a way to justify watching television), and this is my first real project. Ta da!
As one can plainly see, this is actually a red t-shirt that has been cut up and painted on, but when I go to my local Barnes & Noble Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince release party a couple weeks from now, it will most definitely be my Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans costume. Because let's face it, I'm 20 years old, and dressing up in a black robe and carrying a wand just ain't doing it for me anymore.
I cut off the sleeves, collar, and hem. Then I cut holes in around the neck and strung gold ribbon through them to make a drawstring. The bottom was fringed and gold beads added. The design is just fabric paint that I freehanded (!!! -- I cannot draw at all, and it's a miracle that it turned out so well).
I am so ready for this party, and I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!
So I have this friend. She only wears skirts. Seriously. I've seen her in pants once. And in the winter, she gets the biggest kick out of wearing a petticoat (that she made) under her skirts (that she made). She says it makes her feel pretty and feminine. Well, I've been wearing skirts more often myself, and when I saw this white circular tablecloth at a garage sale for 50 cents, I thought it looked like it should be a petticoat, and that maybe I should see what this whole petticoat thing is all about.
It has a zipper and biased tape for the waistband. The trim was already on the bottom. As you can see here, it has a band all the way around 5 inches from the bottom. I love the way it looks, but it's there because it was too long at first. :-)
I've worn it under a demin skirt (my first sewing project from a pattern that I ever completed). And it's true! It makes me feel lovely and feminine, and I just want to walk around in it all day long! :-)
Well, I pretty much took the record bowl idea (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=30667.0) and ran with it. I put the record in the oven on top of a drinking glass instead of a bowl. I let it get all droopy, and then I pushed it all down around the glass and held it there until it cooled (using pot holders, of course). It was super easy, and I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out.
For the waist, I just cut the circle out of the middle, folded the fabric over about 3/4" to the inside and sewed a casing, then put elastic in it. I had to redo the elastic and make it way shorter. The skirt was falling down before I fixed the elastic, I guess b/c the trim is so heavy. If I hadn't been so impatient, I would have waited and bought some baised tape and made the casing from that instead. Mine ended up a little wonky even though I pinned it, but it doesn't really matter since the elastic bunches it all up anyway.
Yeah, it was much easier even than using a sheet. It was already round and already hemmed!
Yeah, a jar that size makes an awesome terrarium. If you just put dirt in it (preferrably from your back yard), plant some seeds, water it, put the lid back on, and put it in the sun, it works out great. The 1st grade teacher at my elementary school used to collect those jars from the cafeteria and the kids would make those every year for the science fair. They always turned out really well.