I recently made this nutcracker for SweetYetEvil, my partner in the Christmas Stocking Swap:http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=427490.0#axzz2hVVDFaMj
And, I made him for LESS THAN $2 WORTH OF MATERIALS! Here's how you can do the same:
1) Purchase a wooden nutcracker at Dollar Tree, or another discount or thrift store.
2) Strip the nutcracker of all accoutrements, including beard/hair, etc.
3) Spray paint nutcracker FLAT BLACK (Walmart 97 cent brand).
4) Paint details with acrylic--whatever style you like.
5) Seal nutcracker with clear gloss spray paint (Krylon).
6) Once dry, glue on beard and hair...I used faux fur I had, but you could reglue the same hair it already had if u saved it from step #2).
7) Glue on any ribbons or additional items
Here's more shots of the one I made:
Thanks for looking!