A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

  Show Posts
Pages: [1]
1  MISCELLANEOUS TOPICS / Completed Projects / RRR Challenge 1 -- Fall Mum from Wipes Used to Clean Up After Crafting on: September 09, 2012 03:41:37 PM



When crafting, I often use baby wipes to clean up my work area, mop up paint or inky spills and the like.  Usually the result is vibrantly colored and it seems a shame to throw them out!  Instead, I lay them out to dry and then store in a plastic storage bag.

Recently, I've been collecting a lot of flower tutorial links for my Pinterest board and I felt like actually making a flower and I wanted it to be a recycled one!  I dug into my bag of used wipes and picked out a selection of oranges and deep pinks that reminded me of Fall.  

Then I cut out six half-moon shapes & clipped them each into rounded flower petals making the length of the petals smaller as I went along.  For the center I fringed-trimmed three smaller half-moons.

Once the cutting was done I piled them up, with the largest on the bottom and the smaller fringed pieces o the top.  To give it more volume I slightly offset the petals in each layer. To join and form the flower I  stitched around the curved part and gently gathered the wipes into a flower shape.

I added spray starch to stiffen the entire flower, concentrating on the center where I wanted the fringed area to stand up,  some of the petals were also curled up at different angles to give it dimension.   After it was dry, I wanted to make it a bit stiffer so to make it hold its shape even more, I dabbed the edges of the petals in clear embossing ink and then in clear embossing powder.   After drying with the Heat-It tool. I noticed that some of the petals had darkened but decided that the effect was a "happy accident".  

To finish the flower I spritzed it with Perfect Pearls Sunflower Sparkle.


http://pinterest.com/pin/2744449744100339/

Thank you!
Kitty
Pages: [1]


only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search



your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping




Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...






Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2014, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.