- watercolor paper or stiff cardstock
- clear flat marbles, ususally found in the floral dept in craft stores
- paint or colored pencils
Now get to work:
1. Draw circles on the paper slightly smaller than the flat marbles. You can also trace the marbles, but circles work fine.
2. Paint a base color in the circles and let dry. No need to be exact as you will be cutting the eyes out.
3. Paint at least two colors of iris. I use a toothpick to make the stripes. Let dry.
4. Using the end of a paint brush, dip in black paint and dot in the pupil, paint a vertical slit for cat eyes. Let dry.
5. Using the end of a smaller brush, dip in white paint and add a highlight. This is very important, it makes the eyes sparkle. Let dry. (see below)
6. Cut out the circles and using a clear strong glue like E6000 dip the back of the glass marble in the glue, then press onto the cut out eye. Use a good coating of glue so there are no air bubbles. Let dry. Notice how the marbles magnify the iris!
7. Glue onto the monster using the same glue, creating a good seal. I like to use ovals or circles of felt for the main part of the eye, gluing the painted eye in the center. OR I paint an eye shape filed with white, and edged with fun colors.
See other monster eyes at:
* Not recommended for toys for small children.