Wow......that is very heartbreaking.
I did something like that once. I wanted to make a guitar pick necklace and I couldn't figure out how to poke a hole in it. So I said to myself, "Oh! I could heat up the needle and poke it!" BAD IDEA. Thankfully I was home alone. So I took a jean needle, put it on a Tupperware plate (thank God for Tupperware!), and put it in the microwave for about 30 minutes. Then I saw a spark and the microwave started to make weird noises. I turned the microwave off and hid behind the door, carefully opening it. The needle almost melted into the plate and the plate had a burn mark. So I took a butter knife and started to shave off the burnt marks. A few days later, my mom put the Betty Crocker frosting in the microwave with a little bit of aluminum still on it and it started to make weird noises and sparked. So I freaked out and told her. I didn't get in trouble and I now know not to put metal in the microwave.