I finished sewing this a couple days ago but misplaced my camera until today.
Anyway! I used Simplicity 5016 for this, but then kind of didn't read the instructions for one step, messed up, and then kind of did my own thing. So it didn't turn out perfect by any means, but I'm pretty happy with it and have gotten compliments and stuff. So yay!
The fabric I got in a remnant bin at Walmart for $1. It was white, but I didn't want to have to deal with making a lining, so I painted/dyed it lime green (I love lime green!
) I used a sponge to apply it (a la the awesome chiffon dress
) and also just dunked it in the (watered down) paint, then heat-set it and washed it. As you may be able to see, my plan to not make a lining didn't quite work out. Although you can see the distinction between the lined and unlined parts in the picture, it's just due to the flash of my camera; you can't tell otherwise, 'specially 'cause all my hair is usually in front of it
This is the back (obviously). I added a second tie below the first one, because the top one just wasn't cutting it for me. Before I started working on this top, I debated just altering it so that it wouldn't have any ties and just a solid back, but then I decided that the ties might be cute. Also, one of them is way longer than the other because I didn't follow the instructions with matching seams and notches and whatnot, sooo..
It's pretty far from perfect, and at first I didn't like it very much at all (because I'm discouraged easily, I guess), but then one of my co-workers kept going on about how much she loved it, and my boyfriend was like WOW THAT'S SO GREAT, and one of my friends said 'You look really cute today!' and I told her I made my shirt, and she said, 'You suck! It looks great!' Mostly I decided I liked it because the imperfections are hard to see from a distance (like more than three feet away) and hopefully that shade of green will overcome the badness