Hi everyone! I have been lurking and absorbing for a while now.
I have found some fabulous tutorials - making a zipper bag with a liner, the jordy, etc....You guys sure are a wealth of knowledge and information!!!!!!!!
But I have a few questions and hope this is the forum to ask them in.1.
When making a bag that is lined and with a zipper - is there a foreseeable problem if I sew the two layers together with an overlock stitch then
attach the zipper? I want to use a vinyl lining and the overlock to help with wicking issues. I would sew the layers together, and then attach the zipper by
- placing the zipper right side facing directly on the outside layer (rightside). Then sew from the wrong side of the fabric or zipper.
- Then just flip the fabric over the seam and the right side of the fabric is attached to the zipper and the seam is hidden.
- Duplicate this on both sides.2.
On the same two layer bag I want to insert handles on the side. I am wanting to use a cotton webbing for a wrist/hanging type handle. I want it to be very securely attached since the contents could be weighty at times, so I am thinking I want to certainly attach it to both layers for strength. Do I do this by -
- sewing up the sides of both layers and leaving an opening where I want the handle inserted
- insert from the rightside of the outer layer and sew, leaving enough ends to sew onto the next layer
- pull the inside layer through and sew again trying to get as close to the edge of the handle
as possible so it is not too visible from the inside layer? A
- Is there a way to make it less visible on the inside layer? B
- When attaching the handles will a stretch stitch make it more flexible and strengthen it at the same time?
3. Is a top stitch necessary on a zipper if you are not placing the seam/fabric up close to the actual zipper? I like my zippers to be a bit away from the fabric. I know that fabric getting caught in the zipper or the zipper getting caught in the fabric can be a problem when the zipper teeth are close to the fabric.
- Will sewing/attaching out closer to the edge of the zipper tape solve this?
- Is there a stability problem when doing this? (I am talking about sewing say 1/2 way or 2/3 towards the edge.)
I am sorry if I am not to clear in my descriptions, I am new to all of this.
Thanks so much for any input that you can give.