So, I'm visiting my mother over the summer, and have discovered that she has a LOT of unused fabric remnants and scraps. Some of which are really cool. Most of which are REALLY UGLY. Since I am a beginning sewer teaching myself on my first ever machine Zelda, I decided to challenge myself by putting together these ugly fabrics in the cutest way I can think of and selling them at the flea market. I've started with children's clothes, since I am working with remnants and therefore not much of any one fabric.
I put together a hideous bright dinosaur fabric, a paint-streaky fabric with the same colors as the dino fabric in more muted shades, and an eyelet material that is pretty except for being the color of dry crumbly dirt. Pleased with the result, I called the combination Dino Fiesta and set forth on a bubble blouse, following a pattern.
The pictures are taken at a kind of wonky rushed angle, and I should have used my hand to push out the bubble part of the blouse so you could see the right effect. Of course, I would have loved to take action shots. But my moon pie is several states away right now, and I just hurried a few digicam shots before taking this to the flea market.
I used the flower to actually mask a small flaw on the yoke where the fabric got a little pinched, but it ended up being a pretty cute addition. So this is Ugly Fabric Project #1, the first of many to come. I am now almost done with a Dino Fiesta dress, which killed off the rest of the dino fabric except for tiny scraps and most of the paint-streaky fabric. So I will post that soon as well. Happy practicing!
As I'm visiting my mom for the summer, I dug through all her fabric remnants and scraps for the blouse. I discovered some great green eyelet material, some sturdy plain pink material, and an adorable remnant of a purple fairy print ready-made dress fabric. Examining a few patterns I found at Wal-Mart, I chose one that had both a sleeveless and sleeved option... and used both =D.
Since I only had a little bit of the fairy fabric, I took all the elastic out of the scrunchy top of the fabric, cut the blouse front out of the bottommost portion, and cut a sleeve out of the scrunchy part. I made the sleeve a sort of "floating sleeve" by backing it with pink fabric, as there was not enough of it by itself to make the whole sleeve.
All in all, it turned out pretty okay. Some iffy construction here and there, but otherwise successful--especially considering how much I deviated and mutated the pattern's original intentions *hehe*. I'd post live action shots, but as I said, several states away... so these will have to do for now.
I was working on a mermaid skirt (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=410256.0) for my moon pie's 5th birthday and, temporarily sick of sewing, I idly came upon some plastic rainbow star beads in the livingroom. I started rearranging them in various patterns, then decided to further distract myself by stringing them.
I decided I was going to make a rainbow star belt for a jumper I keep meaning to make her, but I soon realized it would be quickly broken as a belt. So I decided it could make a snazzy necklace.
I cut and sewed the bow out of yellow eyelet fabric. I used a cute decorative stitch on my sewing machine, which was sort of amateurish of me, but it was fun to watch the needle dance that business onto the fabric *hehe*.
The packaging is because I'm several states away for the summer, so I had to ship Momo's presents.
This is my first post here, though I've been a lurker for years. Last year, my cupcake (who's technically my best friend's daughter =p) Maureen turned 4 and voted on a Mermaids & Pirates themed birthday. Which was perfect, since that last Pirates of the Caribbean movie was in theaters on her birthday ^_^. Well, I mention this because I started working on a mermaid skirt (with tail) for her, inspired by Cher's costume in Mermaids. It was supposed to be for that birthday, compiled of various old skirts and shirts of her mother's and mine. Did I mention that I was handsewing it (having never used or owned a sewing machine)? And did I mention that it was the first sewing project I had ever taken on, beyond hemming too-tall jeans and making pillows out of old t-shirts?
Needless to say, it didn't happen. Her birthday passed, the skirt still in production. Halloween passed, and luckily she decided on being Iron Man and not a mermaid. This spring, I finally purchased my first sewing machine, a most excellent Brother I named Zelda (after the Fitzgerald, not the 8-bit princess). This summer when my Momo turned 5, despite her birthday theme being bumblebees and Rapunzel, she finally got the mermaid wrap skirt for which she'd waited way too long!
Basically, it is a super simple wrap skirt (a perfect half circle, with an extended waist band for ties). Just... with lots of embellishments. And a tail.
I also made a quick wrist band to which the tail is fastened (though, the little wrist jacket to which the tail is fastened is removable from the lace part of the wrist band, so they can be washed separately).
Ah, and remember how I said the vast majority of the mermaid skirt was handsewn? That means everything except the tail and wristlet. EVERYTHING. It took... a long time. Partially because I didn't know anything about slipstitching or backstitching or any kind of stitching except basting, really, and felt obligated to make every single hem and seam "pretty" by basically playing an amateur embroiderer.
Oh, and a close-up of the waistband/ties. Came from an old shirt. That's it. ^_^ I'd post action pics, but I am several states away from my Peachy Pie for the summer and had to ship her birthday gifts to her. So, forgive the shady construction and wonky stitching. I hope Mo loves it, and it doesn't come apart! I also made her a necklace and blouse (my first sewing project using a pattern!) which I will post later.