Swap name: Mini Junk Journals
Gallery --> http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=448836.0
image from https://artfrommysoul.wordpress.com/tag/junk-journal/*** FYI - there is a lot of info here. please read it all and ask questions either in this thread or PM me!
Craftster member who is organizing this swap: geekgirl1000100
Sign-up date range: June 13 - June 27
Date to send item by: August 3
Limited to a certain number of people? (optional): no
Restricted to people who all live in the same country? NO
Additional Age requirement?
Swap Organizer himself/herself meets these conditions:
- Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: YES
- Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: YES
- Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: YES
- Will recruit a co-organizer or give all details to a Swap Moderator if this swap has more than 25 participants: YES
- Is at least 18 years old: YES
Swap Organizer will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: YES
- Has posted at least 15 times: YES
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: YES
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: YES
- Does not have any negative feedback: YES
- Participant has agreed that he/she is at least 16 years old: YES
- If within the US, understands that Delivery Confirmation number is required for this swap: YES
- If outside the US, understands that a mailing receipt copy is required for this swap: YESDetails of swap:*** Disclaimer - I will do my best to partner people up according to themes but shipping requirements, allergies and number of participants may make it difficult to come up with perfect partnering!
- This swap is for mini junk journals, You will make your partner a junk journal that is a minimum of 4"x6" with a front cover, 20 sheets (that would be 20 fronts, 20 backs, so if you numbered them with page numbers they would number 1-40), and then a back cover.
- Half the sheets should be embellished. This could be stamped, or with ribbon/lace, pockets, tags, brads, hanging bookmarks, borders, etc.
- The other half do not need to be embellished but would need to be some sort of decorative or otherwise designed paper (not just plain printing paper), Examples of things you can use: old calendar pages/images, magazine pages, junk mail envelopes, paint chips,paper bags, book pages, playing cards, greeting cards, yellow mailing envelopes, ziploc baggies, postcards or pasteboard packaging that have been gessoed/painted over, gelli printed pages, and other interesting but not bought (i.e. scrapbook) items. (you CAN use scrapbook type items but it is NOT required)
- Then bind it in some way. The simplest is punching holes and just using O rings and you can decorate them with ribbons and such so they don't look so plain. But you could do any sort of binding you like.
This swap is just for the book with pages. You would not do any actual journaling in it. The recipient would use if for their own purposes.
here are some reference materials. some example pics
:https://artfrommysoul.wordpress.com/tag/junk-journal/http://jazzycreations.blogspot.com/2013/06/vintage-tiny-junk-journal-photos-and.htmlhttps://artfrommysoul.wordpress.com/2013/06/01/my-junk-journal/and some sites with instructions
(although the second one looks like she included some actual journal writings which we wouldn't dohttp://weekly.craftsnthings.com/issues/v2/i81/cntw-c.htmlhttps://stampington.com/blog/2014/09/11/mini-junk-journal-project-guest-artist-lindsay-ostrom/Sample videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILzG-yugqMcA video tutorial series
steps 1 - 3 are mostly about cutting paper and gathering materials. She uses a lot of store-bought, pre-made stuff. That is not necessary. junk journals can be made out of, well junk Smiley I would check other sites out for types of ephemera other people use. Probably you could skip steps 1-3 and still have a good idea what she did.
step 1 - about cutting paper and covershttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f84PHdXlXlY
step 2 - about gathering embellishments. she does mostly/exclusively flat decorated journals, but you don't have to be limited to flat items.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIu3hyAw5kY
step 3 - gathering inks and stamps to usehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGOQ0g3RKZE
step 4 - starting to put it all together - flips through her pages and shows where she inked/stamped, added pockets, dictionary pages, etc.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iUflsbZ_xo
step 5 - final step on putting it together - adding final embellishments and binding. again she keeps it fairly flat. she binds with 0 rings. and shows how to fancy up the look of the oringshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45IEeUYjcvEa picture guide
mini junk journalhttps://stampington.com/blog/2014/09/11/mini-junk-journal-project-guest-artist-lindsay-ostrom/binding tutorial
You can use any binding you want. The easiest appears to be punching holes and using 0-rings. Here is a link for coptic stitch. This is where you would have to make "signatures", basically you'd make long pages and fold them in half and then sew them together.http://www.tortagialla.com/2010/08/16/chain-or-coptic-stitch-bookbinding-tutorial/A really good step by step picture guide on sewing signatures and bindinghttp://are-you-flowin.blogspot.ca/2012/01/make-your-own-long-stitch-bound-journal.htmlMore tipshttp://www.vintagejunkjournals.com/junk-journal-tutorial.html
If you want to participate, information to send to organizer:QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:
Name of swap
Your real name
Mailing address including the country
Would you be willing to ship to an address outside your own country?
Confirm that are at least 16 years old: (YES/NO)
Is there anything/theme you would NOT want to have in your junk journal (colors, types of ephemera, themes, religion, etc)
Is there anything/theme you'd espcially like to see (shabby chic, vintage, steampunk, cutesy, etc)
Is there anything/theme you'd espcially like to make?
What allergens are in your house?
What allergies do you have?
Anything else you want your partner to know? pinterest link, etc?
IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR INFO TO ORGANIZER VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE AND NOT TO REPLY WITH IT HERE.