This started life of as a very cheap "canvas" print of London phone boxes. It's been hanging up in our living room since we moved in purely to cover some wall space and I've always detested it. So I reworked it!
This took a while. There's probably a quicker way to do it but I didn't want to spend any money. I wanted it to look quite rustic and messy to a degree with paint bleeds and some of the original canvas showing through, anyway.Supplies
Cheap crap "canvas"
White acrylic paint
Black acrylic paint
First, I covered the entire canvas in the white paint. This took about 20 coats of paint, no joke. Then I cut the letters out of card and placed them down where I wanted them whilst the paint was still tacky. I just dunked some black paint right into the pot with the left over white paint and this created a very, very slightly off-black. Then, I just swished the paint brush over it any which way. It mixed with the tacky white paint to create some black, white and grey areas and sticking the letters down whilst the paint was still tacky ensured a little of the previous print would show through. Not sticking the letters down completely ensured some of the black paint bled into the letters. Put together, I got an even better effect than I wanted and a canvas print that I adore