Hey, all. I just dyed my hair with Special Effects in Electric Blue, and I'm very happy with the results! My naturally dark brown hair was dyed black, so I had to use bleach with 40 vol developer, and then a high-lift blonde dye with 30 vol developer to get some of the orange out. It was light blonde when I was done, and my roots were white blond, so my roots with the blue are screamingly bright.
Here's a London Calling that my wonderful mom made for me. Being as we didn't want to spend a hundred or so dollars on the yarn the pattern called for, we made some creative substitutions. She used Mango Moon Capelli, which is supposed to be a carry-along weight but worked fine except that it stretched unless she was very careful.
Three weeks, about a scrillion little balls of yarn, homemade yarn bras and a bunch of cursing later, it was born! I love it to death. Picture!
Please excuse the pink owl shirt underneath. Not the best choice, I know, but I was right home from dance and didn't want to wait to change.
This is my first successful embroidery project, which is a little strange since I do most other kinds of needlework. I got the pattern from a kit from Michael's...Savvy Stitches, or something like that. I have no idea what the ideograms mean, I'm not even sure whether they're Chinese, Japanese, or something else. If anyone could tell me what they mean, I'd be grateful. Anyway, pictures.
I like it very much, but I have no idea what to do with it...
Let's see...no, I wasn't wearing it when he proposed. I was right back from dance class, so I was in a leotard and grungy jeans. I opened it after all the excitement died down, but I'm sure it cemented his decision! Thanks for all the well wishes and congrats.
Here's me being all housefrau and pretending to iron. Good practice!
I got this spring jacket from Old Navy on clearance, but the buttons had to go.
I ripped off all the original buttons (all 12 of them) and sewed on new spiffy Celtic ones. My fingers weren't too happy with me after that. I liked how that looked, but I decided the back needed a little sprucing up too.
And now, pictures!
After I sewed the new buttons on.
I got the buttons at Joann Fabrics.
Action shot of the back. I drew out the knot, copied it to reduce the size, cut out the areas where I wanted paint with a razor blade, pinned the design to the jacket, outlined with pencil, and painted with fabric paint. Phew!
A close-up of the knot.
Since I'm obsessive compulsive, I also painted the belt and grommets with a paint pen.
I've been handsewing a lot lately, and I made a bunch of these 'persimmon' pincushions from a pattern in Kokoro No Te. Pretty much the only difference is that they're supposed to have stems and I left the stems off. The fabrics are all from the oriental section of my local quilt shop.
The first one I made, and my favorite.
Second one I made.
Third one I made.
I love the koi fish on there.
I also made a set of three juggling balls. Don't ask me why, I can't even juggle.
My boyfriend trying to juggle. No, he can't either, but at least he's having a good time.
So my mom goes to Florida for a week to visit my grandparents, and she comes back with not one, not two, but THREE versions of the Newsboy hat from SnB Nation. I asked her to make me one in wool and one in cotton, since they would take me about a scrillion years to finish, but she picked up some Wool-Ease while she was down there and made one for herself too, only without the brim.
I am in awe. Three hats. One week. DPNs. My mother is a knitting goddess.
The cotton hat, frontish. There isn't any mesh in the brim 'cause I like it floppy.
Side view of same. This yarn is Plymouth Bella Colour. It apparently took just a little more than one ball to finish a hat.
Frontish of second hat.
Backish of second hat. This is Patons SWS in the Natural Denim colorway.
I don't have pictures of the third hat, but it's super cute.
I made this bag out of a pair of burgundy stretch velvet pants that my boyfriend found for me at the Salvation Army. He's so helpful when I go looking for craft supplies there.
Anyway, I ripped the seams apart, resewed them so it would lie flat, double-seamed the bottom and made straps out of the legs. Then for an extra added geek factor, I made my own appliques out of quilt fabric. The one on the right in the pic is a rainbow skully, the one on the right is the Horde symbol, from World of Warcraft. I am geek, hear me roar.
The bag with my cat, Alex, on top. For some reason, she loves the damn thing. Probably because I keep my yarn in there, and yarn is squishy, and hence, comfortable for cat butts.