I have 3 things to show that I've finished in the last few weeks. The first was my entry for a recent BurdaStyle competition-- I didn't win, but I have an interesting skirt to try the next time I go hiking now. I modified their Sidonie pattern to a wrap skirt.
(it's hard to see, but this is the side view with a cargo pocket)
(and the inside.)
I've been in the mood for more springy things lately, despite the weather's refusal so far to get warm enough for me to wear them, so I made these, both from patterns:
I've been lurking here a little, and I've really enjoyed everyone's work that I've seen so far!
One of my friends is getting into making these, and she inspired me to try one. So I made this on Friday night.
The lyrics are from a Decemberists song, since it inspired the picture. Considering this is one of the first things I've drawn since I quit being an art major, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.
It's become a bit of a tradtion for me to make some necklaces for my mom (I'm in charge of putting her Christmas stocking together). I asked her what colors she wanted this year and she said either black or neutral. So I did both.
The dragonfly one is supposed to be the black necklace... I kind of screwed up. The beads looked black in the store, and I didn't realize until I pulled the stuff out to assemble yesterday that they're actually red garnet! It does come through a little red in the photo, but they seriously looked black even against the black sweater I was wearing when I made it, so hopefully it'll be ok.
This one was from a too-short tank top and a green cardigan that I never wore.
I'm mostly happy with how this turned out... the original tank top had a lettuce-edged bottom and that came through a bit more than I liked when I joined it to the new band at the bottom. It's really comfortable, though.
Yeah, I know, it's almost Christmas. Anyway. I had to come up with a costume that could double for both a party and a children's concert that I was performing in, quick and cheap. So I took these...
(clockwise from top: blue chiffon from the remnant bin, black polyester satin pj pants and a stretch nylon skirt (both from the thrift store), and sparkly black organza from a dress project a few years ago that totally bombed)
....and turned it into this:
(No, that's not my regular hair color. Or my boots, unfortunately-- those belong to my brother.) You can see the skirt a little better on this one:
I wore a different black top that I already owned for the concert, and didn't put the color on until after, but I had a lot of fun on this costume. Thanks for looking!
I keep going long stretches of time between posts, so here's the three most recent non-reconstructed projects. My apologies for the picspam.
This is the reason I don't have more to show, because this coat took me two months to put together.
It's a basic peacoat pattern from Vogue, but it only came in too big and too small, so I had to get the too big one, resize it, and then go through all sorts of adjustments to get it to fit, especially sicne I had a fully quilted lining (that I had to quilt myself). But I'm happy with the results, and so far it's keeping me warm.
Then I made this wrap shirt from some organic bamboo knit I found. I couldn't find a good wrap pattern for knits so I had to modify a mock-wrap. It turned out a little too big so I have to pull part of the side through the slit along with the tie, but it looks all right when it's on.
The last one is this blouse from the "Emily" pattern on BurdaStyle.com. I made the one with the longer sleeves but left off the gathering, and then added cuff links to the sleeves.
It would probably end up looking something like this, I'd imagine.
I finished this dress about a month ago, actually, but I've been on a bit of a Craftster hiatus. I did use a highly altered pattern for the underdress (solid brown), but the tie-dye sheer fabric was my design. And here's the back:
I really wish I'd taken a before picture of this-- I thought I had, but I can' t seem to find it anywhere on my PC. But picture a thrifted skirt that, while made out of lovely fabric, has a wide, elastic-waist yoke and pleats all around, in a rather frumpy sort of way.
This was how it ended up. My inspiration was this dress that Kiera Knightley wore in the more recent version of Pride and Prejudice, though I didn't have enough fabric to do the lower waist so I had to stick with empire.
And this is a closeup of the beading, before I sewed the band down--as it turned out, some of the beads my best friend brought back from Africa for me last summer matched perfectly.