I made these to go with my Dorothy costume. I sewed all the sequins on one at a time in a fishscale type layout. I tried to follow the way the originals were sequined as much as possible.
100 gram pack of 5mm Flat Transparent Ruby Sequins
French Heeled shoes (from ebay)
I searched high and low for the correct sequins on a single row trim, but all I ever found were the uber shiny metallic ones (not accurate). I also didn't feel like paying $35 for only 5000 sequins from Schrum Studios. I spent about 3 hours online searching for the same sequins they sold, and found a supplier with 14,000 for about $13! SCORE! I then checked eBay for another 2 hours for a good base shoe. It had to have a french heel and had to be comfy. I managed to find a brand new pair of Aerosoles (SO comfy!) for about $20 - double score! Sure my friends asked why I didn't just buy pre-made ones, or cover them in glitter, or just glue sequins on... because it doesn't look accurate and would look cheap
I figure if I'm making the dress, I'm making the shoes to match.
I had red fabric on hand already and after sanding the pleather shoe, I glued the edges down and pinned it as I went. I let it sit for 2 days before taking the pins out and gluing down the inside edges. The heel tip was removed, the fabric stretched over and stitched in place, and the heel hammered back on securely.
I started by stitching a line down the center of the toe as a guide for the sequins. I then stitched each sequin down one at a time, knotting at the beginning and end of each row for a secure hold. This way if a thread snags/snaps, I only lose one tiny row of sequins and not the whole shoe. The bottom and top edges of the fabric on the shoe were also sewn through the shoe body for extra hold. I want these to last just as long as the original ruby slippers!
The bows were really last minute and I didn't get a chance to take pictures as I went because I was rushed and had to use what I had on hand. I will most likely remake them by casting my own gems in the correct cut and size, but these work for now. I used craft foam as a base and hot glued matching fabric on top and around. I "made" my own gems by taking pink ones I had on hand and giving them a thin layer of red nail polish lol. I then used a mix of SS20 and SS16 Siam Swarovski rhinestones around the edges of the bows. I also glued ruby colored bugle beads to the inside, I would have stitched them on, but again - rushed. The bows were them whip stitched to the shoe along the edges. I will be able to easily remove them when I'm ready to remake them.
I wore these in the NYC Halloween parade and they last perfectly through skipping down 6th ave and walking around downtown with my friends. I have them on display in my living room with my costuming trophies
Shoes before and after fabric cover
Bow Materials (minus fabric and foam)
Completed Shoes, ready for the Yellow Brick Road!
My Making of Pagehttp://imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/completed/movietvartcostumes/dorothygale