I have a ring sling but I'm not so good at it, and it's tough to wear out of the house. It's one with a looong tail, so I feel kinda goofy when wearing it in public. So I made this:
out of my bedsheets (no, he wasn't conceived on them). The feature I like is the light blue thing, which is just Velcro and is removable. It makes a nice "cap" for my shoulder and shallows up the head part of the sling by gathering the fabric. I haven't seen pouch slings with them, but I got the idea from a website that I don't remember. I can't take credit for it, but I can't remember who to give credit to.
Yes, he's a boy, yes, the binky's pink and purple, it came with the diaper bag and we don't say no to free things.
Excuse the pink & purple paci, it was free. We weren't planning on letting him have one, but oh well.
I can't wait to get his cute little booty in these!
I stenciled a shirt to go with them - need to go back and fill in the bridges.
Here's the whole outfit with hat.
My son insisted I make "baby budder" some "oppiedopters" to match his own. I plan on stenciling a helicopter Onesie too, just haven't had time yet.
and the hats. The black one was practice to make sure I remembered what I was doing before I cut my expensive fabric. These are all double-layered for my winter baby.
I wanted to make some clothes for the baby (due 2/13) but my regular sewing machine is stuck on zig-zag and I can't afford to go have it fixed. I needed something I could do completely with the serger without converting to coverstitch to hem. My grandma had given me some bright orange Tony Stewart t-shirts to make pillowcases for her, and I thought "aha!" I used the scraps from the neck (ankle cuffs) and hem (waistband/elastic casing) to do the helicopters, and scraps from another t-shirt for the mixtape/boombox/headphones one.
These were from a long time ago, I just never posted them. These jeans were from a pair of mine that fit at the waist but were too short. I traced a pair of his pants onto the legs and made these.
I used the original waistband and button for the front and sewed the loops down.
Back is elastic.
Alexander Henry applique on the left leg front
What a cute kid. He's really thinned out since these pictures, plus I no longer need to roll them.
Butt pocket on the right leg side with more AH applique
Romper! I was asked to make this as a "for example" for someone who is selling the pattern. I love the pattern and it's easily altered to put snaps in the crotch or make it reversible or add pockets or lace to the legs or whatever. I made this one exactly as per the instructions but I made a shorts version with a snap crotch for my cousin's baby.
closer look at the top
I get sad when I see these pictures; I miss his hair!
My husband is part of the first class for wind turbine technology at our local college. We just had the groundbreaking ceremony for the building this week and I made this shirt for our son to wear there. We got introduced to several high-ups, followed by "and she made that shirt!"
3 layers of white Speedball, followed by one quick thin layer of silver acrylic.
The fabric fairy is my favorite place to buy material ever. They sent me a packet of samples for Christmas, and one of them was this adorable helicopter print knit. At that time my son was 10 months and didn't have any preferences either way, but now, helicopters are his favorite things in the world. I found the little scrap and thought, "wouldn't that be great for Kalten?" So I checked online and the site said they were out of stock. I e-mailed them asking if they could possibly find more, and they said "oh, we actually still have about 2 yards" I said I'd take whatever they had, which actually turned out to be 4 and a quarter yards! So lots and lots of helicopters. Here's the first thing I made for him:
He fell asleep so this was all I could get at first.
I took this the next day after he got them all wet from dew :/
I volunteered to make a purse for a door prize for my church's women's retreat. I had an idea in my head and just to make sure it would turn right side alright, I made a practice version:
The corduroy was made with pink backing that peeks through the wales. It is paired with cute vintage floral cotton in pinks and purples for the lining.
The purse stands on its own, about 8" tall. It's 12" across at the top and the base is 8" by 3".
The handles are made from flat oval takeout chopsticks which were finished with clear resin spray and fitted into specially-made pockets for security. They are removable but will not fall out with normal use.
It's made without topstitching because I didn't want to interrupt the solidness of the brocade in the final version.
And here's the one that I donated (I should not have taken pictures on my blue ironing board):
Made with shorter chopsticks. Rich blue brocade fabric with light blue tiny seed print cotton lining.