it's made from this beautiful soft cream-colored tiny-rib corduroy and some plain blue fabric, both abouta dollor from the remnant bin. i would have made the whole thing cord but there wasn't quite enough to make a roomy enough skirt. i added panels of the blue at first, but the whole thing was WAY too big (me and my seam allowances) so i pinched the top of each blue panel, flattened it and sewed it that way (see detail below).
the black drawcord won't be there when i finish the skirt, i have a strip of the blue fabric waiting for me to get matching thread so i can sew it into a tie string
the eyelets are blue
, which i really love.
does it not just scream "applique me"? i'm thinking ducks and bubbles maybe...
I started out with two panels of the corduroy (front and back), but i ended up cutting both of them in half and sewing them back together. the front one was so i could make the lace-up part (i added a bit of the cord material behind it to avoid undies peeking out) and the back was to make the skirt smaller and to add a slit and some character because it was too plain.
detail of what i did to the sides:
i was afraid the blue would puff out and make my hips look ginormous, but it really hasn't. and i bet if i iron it down it would stay even better.
the best part is that i stayed up until 4:30 this morning without realizing it, AND i really like my skirt.