So, here are my first two quilts. My brother recently got accepted into the MBA program at his university, and I wanted to make him something to celebrate. He challenged me to make him a "manly" quilt, so this is what I came up with. Yes, a king/queen size quilt for a first project.
The quilt is made from flannel and follows a "Disappearing Nine Patch" pattern. Each square was originally 8"x8". Turned out to be quite the adventure - I started making it in October and finished by New Year's!
On to the pictures:
Here's the finished quilt top, before adding borders:
Action shot! The quilting was done in the ditch, and then hours of this happened (approximately one foot from completion!). I used the fun red eagle print at all four corners.
And finally, the finished quilt at its new home. Unfortunately, my bro swept it back with him before I could take a head-on picture, but I think he did a pretty good job with his phone:
Let me know what you think!
And bonus round: Having grossly over-estimated the amount of fabric I would need, there was a ton left over and I wanted to try making a rag quilt. I made this for a very special two year old. I opted not to do the traditional "x" quilting on each square because I embroided his name across the back and did not want to mess it up. This ended up being fairly large as each square is also 8"x8".
And here's a close up of the fraying. You can also see here that I used a brown for the back and the middle of each sandwich is a black flannel.
I'm extremely pleased with it. It's surprisingly soft. My suggestion to anyone making a rag quilt is to be sure and put it through the washer and dryer! What a difference it makes when it comes out!
Please enjoy! I'd love to hear your feedback
Thanks for looking.