Here is the first quilt I made It's definitely not perfect (the seams don't match up at all on the bottom half, and my machine quilting leaves everything to be desired, haha) but I still like it! I began it in May and finished it for my boyfriend's birthday in September... I imagine I could have finished it a lot sooner, but I didn't mind taking my time and working around school/work. To make the image, I found some SMB3 sprites and did up a grid in MS Paint that was the size I wanted the quilt to be (double-bed sized), then coloured them in one by one. It's made of six colours, with cotton batting and a sheet on the back. The walking foot I had ended up being the wrong one for my machine, so I pinned the heck out of this thing and did very minimal quilting with my regular foot. Each piece was sewn by machine, and after the failure of the bottom half, which I sewed in long strips, I sewed the upper half into larger squares (9x9 if I remember correctly) and then pieced them all together. I think this is definitely the way to go about making large quilt that uses so many small squares!
p.s. It's really not as puckered as it looks, that's just because it was hanging over my canopy bed so I could take a picture... my apartment doesn't have enough floor space to lay the quilt out flat!