My best friend got me into cosplay a year ago, and she's been making all my cosplay costumes so far. So, for this Halloween, I decided I needed to make my first one all for myself.
And reference photos for anyone who isn't familiar (pulled from the game's "Play as Harley Quinn" trailer):
There's a lot to it, so let's go piece by piece:
- The wig was ordered from Arda Wigs, and I dyed it myself (hand-Sharpied). (Read more about the wig here: http://alexampersandra.blogspot.com/2015/10/harley-quinn-wig.html.)
- The bat was a children's foam bat from Walmart that I painted (and distressed with silver Sharpie). (Read more about the bat here: http://alexampersandra.blogspot.com/2015/10/distressed-bat.html)
- The only clothing that was purchased was the white shrug (I ran out of time to sew one) and the leggings (one pair black, one pair red, cut and put together, plus I painted the diamonds and added the studs).
- I sewed the bra, corset cover, skirt, and the arms.
- I painted the left boot red and bought new shoelaces. I also put studs on the back of the boots, but they aren't in any of my photos.
- And my favorite part is the leather harness. It's real leather (belt blanks from Tandy Leather) and I sewed the pieces together with a sewing awl, added the O-rings and the studs, and snaps. The arm bands have elastic on the inside holding them together. (Read more about the harness here: http://alexampersandra.blogspot.com/2015/10/harness-weekend.html and the prototype here: http://alexampersandra.blogspot.com/2015/09/prototype-harleys-harness.html)
- The laughing gas bomb is also one of my favorite parts. I painted a Splash Out (remember those? You put a water balloon in it, turn the timer, and play Hot Potato with it until the timer's out and it pops the balloon and you get splashed!) and filled it with pink EL wire and vellum paper. (Read more about the laughing gas bomb here: http://alexampersandra.blogspot.com/2015/10/finishing-harley-quinns-bomb.html)
Hope you enjoy! I certainly had fun being Harley!