* To see the overview of this Master Craftsters campaign, click here
* To read more about the tools and supplies used in this project, explore Elmer's website here
.Wings and Things Triptych - featuring Elmer's products
This was one of those things that just seemed to happen all by itself. You know how it is, you see something in a charity shop one day so you buy it to use some day. Then you're in the craft shop (or cabin in my case) and spot something you love and have
to buy. Followed a couple of days later by a purchase in a bric-a-brac shop... and it seems that they have to come together. That's how this piece was born
- Wooden charity shop frames (50p each!) but you could use a canvas to create something similar.
- Masking tape
- Modroc (Plaster Bandage)
- CraftBond Double Sided Scrapbooking Tape
- CraftBond Glue Spots
- CraftBond All Purpose Glue Stick
- Elmer's Precision Embellishment Glue
- X-ACTO Precision Tip Scissors
- X-ACTO Paper Trimmer
- Distress Stain
- White acrylic paint & brush
- Rust metal garland & metal bits
- Lace & bits of fabric
- Papers and nick-naks
- Papercut birdcage
May as well pour yourself a brew, this is going to be a long one!
I picked these up in a charity shop, they're wood frames with a wood and plasticy paper top. I sanded the top later off, randomly, until I no longer had a shiny surface.
I gathered together some of the papers I wanted to use.
I pulled off the surface to one of the frames in strips to add some texture.
Then I masked off the top and used the distress stain to stain the paper and create the stripes.
After a little playing with different papers, I used the paper trimmer to crop the papers down to size.
Then a wee bit more playing and arranging with papers before starting to stick them down. I used a combination of CraftBond All Purpose Glue Stick and the Emellishment Glue and both worked wonders. No wrinkles here!
Since I'm working on three pieces together I kept mucking around with each one. Laying papers and lace and bits on and rearranging them until I was happy with them individually and together. I folded some linen in half, placed the papers on top, and stitched around with a contrasting thread on my machine. (This blunts your needle, you can also hand sew to get this effect.)
I bought this papercut birdcage up in a craft shop and the enamel butterfly brooch in a local bric-a-brac shop. I really like the combination of them together. I sprayed the birdcage with ink to distress and add some texture.
Of course being a brooch the back had to come off!
Using some rusty metal garland I snipped off a section to use...
...on a piece of driftwood
It just pushed in it was so soft, but I also used some of the embellishment glue to make sure it was secure. Add a wing and it's ready to go!
A little playing about to see the placement of everything. It seems to be missing something, hmm..
Modroc, of course! I just sprayed it with water and ran my finger along it to smooth it out.
Starting to make some decisions and attaching everything down.
I decided that the map was too prominent (as was the dotty paper in the following photo), so I mixed up a white acrylic wash for it to knock it back a little.
Then I had to use pliers to peel the brooch back carefully to avoid damaging the brooch.
I decided I didn't like the butterfly sitting flat against the cage, so I cut some cardboard to raise it up. The embellishment glue worked perfectly here!
I used the double sided tape to hold the fabric together, this was a really easy way of attaching this with no mess!
This is a medley of bits, but I was trying to show the stitching elements on all three squares. It's important to have some similar elements that feature in all three to make them work together.
Next up was working on a small space that seemed to need filling. I used my punch to create some circles I could layer in.
And then I decided I'd taken enough photos to bore you with the process, so I just carried on meddling until I was happy. The result...