I made this about a month ago, and was just persuaded today that it's worth posting here. The bag is made from a coordinated set of 5 Egyptian cotten dishtowels that I bought at Marshall's, and which were much, much too pretty to wipe up spaghetti sauce with. It took me a few days to decide what to do with them--I'm a major bag junkie, though, so I suppose it was inevitable that they'd end up as a bag of some kind!
Here's the front, with the most striking of the towels:http://photos7.flickr.com/7908547_ddbd99b4a7.jpg
The inside, with three of the towels as front and back lining and pockets:http://photos6.flickr.com/7908546_28ae2de707.jpg
The back, including straps:http://photos7.flickr.com/7908548_8f26486db1.jpg
I didn't want to cut any of the towels, although that made it too long, so I did, in the end, sacrifice about 4" of the length, from which I intend to make a pouch. The plaid pocket is a double, with both an open pocket with a velcro tab and a zippered pocket.
The materials were the set of 5 coordinated dishtowels, and a zipper, webbing for straps, cording, and cord lock (all of which I had on hand). I didn't use a pattern; I busked it all the way. Stitched it all by hand, too--I actually like hand sewing, so I'm weird, deal.
I was surprised by how sturdy and comfortable this bag turned out to be. I took it to the library one afternoon, fit six hardback books in it with no trouble or tearing, and no backstrain!