I finally finished a project. This was my first in a few years. It's a friend's birthday and she is a huge Greatful Dead and Phish fan. I made her a bag from 2 bandanas I bought from HippieShop.com
I didn't use a pattern. I just drew something quickly, gave it a go and hoped for the best.
I think it came out better than I expected. The lining is part of a thrifted sheet. I added two interior pockets and a magentic snap closure.
The patches were from various online sellers. I used Pellon fusible fleece to give it some weight and structure. Bandanas might as well be made of Kleenex.
It was late and I was tired (big rule - don't sew when you're sleepy)
and I thought I was using a straight stitch. I was instead using a zigzag with the width set to zero. So it was like a choppy straight stitch. By the time I realized this it was too late. The stitch proved to be ridiculously strong though. When I went to assemble the liner and the outside I realized that I had sewn the liner with right side/wrong side facing each other. I attempted to remove the stitches and it was impossible. That was at about 3am and I would probably still be doing it right now if I kept it up. Luckily the liner was from a bed sheet so I just cut two new lining pieces and new pockets. It was easier and less time consuming.
I also had some machine maintenance to perform which added to the length of this project. As I started sewing there was this horrible squeaking sound. Nothing high pitched and I knew it was coming from the hand wheel. I have never actually taken my machine apart to a high degree because I am always afraid of breaking something but I knew if I could get to it that, this would be an easy fix. So I broke out my little kit of sewing tools and my Singer oil and went to work. That machine is put together like one of those puzzle boxes. You have to remove the pieces of the body in a certain order. But I eventually got to where I needed and oiled it up and ran it. After about a minute the oil got to where it really needed to be and no more noise!
After that it was almost smooth sailing! Everything was going fine until I started working on the final topstitch around the top of the bag to secure the straps. I broke two needles but eventually found a heavyweight one in my box that worked perfect.
There are some more pics and details of the bag on my blog if you are interested. You can read the rest of the post at http://www.sewdosomething.com/2011/08/dead-bears-bag.html