One of my favorite Craftster Organizers, Leslieshappyheart
started these swaps in 2012. I loved it and well the last one was almost 8 months ago! I thought it was time that we had another!!! So taken directly from the previous 3 rounds here is the info for this new round!
The concept is simple: decorate a rectangle of fabric with words and/or images that convey a personal prayer. It can be all fabric, or a mixed-media piece, it's up to you.
The prayer flag will be a finished size of 5" x 8", so it will be small and easy to mail in an envelope. This will be a NO EXTRAS swap, so it will be doable!(If you and your partner both want extras, you can post pictures in the personal swap gallery). The send out date is May 14th, 2014. For this round with it being my first organizing it will be just one partner...But with the option of making one or two flags. ( I will try to make sure you are partnered with people who want to make the same number of flags...)
There is a cool blog called Prayer Flag Project
that is dedicated to these flags where you can read more on the topic. The original idea is that the prayer flag is hung outdoors to slowly deteriorate and release your prayer into the world. With that in mind, you can see that it is not expected to be a masterpiece of perfect stitching. Rather, it is an art piece that is thoughtfully and prayerfully made.
the gallery from the first swap.
for the gallery from the 2nd Round
for the gallery from the 3rd Round
We will use the article about them in Cloth Paper Scissors
as our guide; the instructions below are taken from that link:
How to Make Prayer Flags1. Cut pieces of fabric to 5" x 11". Use materials you already have on hand.
2. Fold the top down on each piece of fabric and stitch in place to create a 3" sleeve, making the flag surface 5" x 8".
3. Paint, stitch, embroider, appliqué, or collage the flags.
4. Add words, journaling, or symbols as desired. You can appliqué letters, add hand stitching, stencil with textile paint, or just write with a permanent marker.
5. Thread the flags onto a string or cord and hang them outdoors so the breeze will catch them and spread your intentions.
Details of swap:
--You will craft one or two prayer flags for your partner, keeping your partner’s preferences in mind. Extras are NOT allowed. If you and your partner want to send anything other than the prayer flag, please do not post pictures of those items in the swap thread (but you may post pictures in the personal swap gallery, if you like.)
--You will have four full weeks to craft and send, from April 16th to May 14th.
-- Please post in this thread (or the gallery thread) at least once a week so we know you are still crafting with us.
*PLEASE READ THIS!*
- No one like to be flaked on, so if you aren't sure if you can do this swap, don't sign up.
- You must get delivery confirmation if sending within the U.S., or a mailing receipt if sending elsewhere.
- If you must send late, let the organizers and your partner know ASAP.
- Good communication is very important. Please stay in touch by posting weekly in the swap thread.
- PM both organizers and your partner when you send and when you receive.
- Please post photos of the package you receive in the gallery, and take pictures of what you make before you send it.
- HAVE FUN!
Limited to a certain number of people? Yes, 24 (If more I will need a co-organizer)
Restricted to people who all live in the same country? No
Additional age requirement? No
Craftster members who are organizing this swap: CraftyMamaBee
Sign-up date range: April 9-April 16 (at 1 pm PST)Date to send item by: May 14, 2014
If you have any questions about this or anything else, please ask your organizer.
If you want to participate, send the questionnaire below to "CraftyMamaBee"
QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:
Name of swap: Prayer Flag Swap Rd 4 (SIGNUP 4/9/14-4/16/14 ; MAIL BY 5/14/14)
Your real name:
Mailing address including the country in correct shipping format:
Would you be willing to ship to an address outside your own country?
Confirm that you are at least 16 years old or, if not, that you have moderator approval (YES/NO)
1. Would you like to make ONE or TWO flags?
2. Do you have any allergies that are strong enough to prevent you from being partnered with certain people?
3. Do you have any other allergies or things to avoid (such as nickel or animal products)?
4. Do you have any allergens (pets, smoke) in your house?
5. List at least 3 words or phrases for your partner to choose from when making your flag:
6. Name some of your favorite images/themes that you would enjoy seeing on your flag:
7. Are there any images/themes that your partner should avoid?
8. What are your favorite colors, or color combinations?
9. Are there any colors your partner should avoid?
10. Please add a few more details about yourself and your tastes to help your partner get an idea of who you are. The more information you give, the better she/he can craft for you. Feel free to add a link to your Pinterest or Wist, or to particular items that would give her/him an idea of your taste.
IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR QUESTIONNAIRE TO "CraftyMamaBee
” VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE; DO NOT POST IT HERE.
Also, remember to read the Swap Info Guide
to find other rules about participating in a swap