I made my first quilt a little while ago. I'd bought some wood-themed fabric from ebay, and wanted to use them.
I embroidered a leaf on every other square. Seemed like a good idea at the start... But it turned out great after some work. For the leaf pattern, I took pictures of real leaves and traced them in a vector image program. Then I traced the print-outs with a water-soluble pen.
Here's the back, where you can see the quilting. I just free-handed it.
I'm very happy with the quilt. If I would do anything different, I would use a different fabric for the binding. The yellow wood grain stands out too much. Not as much as it looks in the photos, but more than ideal.