Oh! I am so excited about this project! It took far longer than originally planned, but I am thrilled with the results!
A couple months ago I bought this giant caftan while I was thrifting:
I picked the caftan because I loved the print, and I intended to make a dress out of it. I thought that it would be a super easy reconstruction, I planned on just hacking off and then re-attaching a shortened skirt to a more fitted bodice.
Until I got home, looked at the caftan again, and then realized that I had utterly failed
one of my personal rules when it comes to thrifting:Always ALWAYS double and triple look over what you are buying.
About 3/4 of the back of the caftan was filled with tiny holes like this! Ugh ugh. At this point I almost gave up the entire thing for the rag pile. But I was already so wedded to the idea of making it into a dress that I decided I might as well try and figure something out, and if it didn't work- at least I'd made an attempt of it! Instead of winging it as previously planned, I decided to use a vintage pattern I'd bought on Etsy awhile back, Butterick 6601.
The pieces that I cut out were a bit wonky, because I was avoiding so many holes but still trying hard to match up the pattern of the fabric in all of the pieces. And, I am amazed to say, that (although not quite perfect) it ended up actually matching quite well!! My skirt is a bit straighter than the one in the pattern, due to lack of fabric, but other than that I managed to salvage enough fabric to make a dress that I absolutely positively love
I didnt have quite enough fabric to do both sides of the pockets, so the front part is made out of fabric that I cut off the bottom of one of my favorite thrifted and reconstructed skirts.
One thing's for sure- I definitely could have used some sort of mannequin to fit on while sewing this, I tried this dress on so many times during construction that I have scratches up and down my legs from sewing pins!
Thanks for looking!