That is SO cute! It's amazing that you got such a vibrant red. Was the dress cotton? You really managed to completely update it, either way. I'm impressed!
Yes the dress was 100% cotton, which was lucky because I definitely didn't look until after I was already home, haha. I was surprised at the vibrancy too! I used RIT dye, which specified that it worked best with natural fibers though, so I guess that is why it came out so well.
Poor Hannequin. That dress is not very current! Let's remedy that, shall we?
Dye, sleeve removal, pintucks, and some hemming later...
A dress any Hannequin- or Hannah- would be happy to wear!
The transformation looks super dramatic, but I think that is just because of the dye! The sewing skills I used were fairly basic. That said, if you have any questions about my process, feel free to ask!
It's not perfect, but I'm very happy with the outcome! Instead of buying the kit, I bought all of my own fabrics and drew out my own templates. I had never done applique in this manner before, and so I had some trouble with the sharp corners of the leaves in particular- my seam ripper and I are now intimately acquainted! But other than my lack of applique skills (I know, I should have practiced before diving right in) I found the instructions to be quite well-written and foolproof!
Anti-leg-scratch-tip-of-the-day: You can always make a duct-tape mannequin of yourself! This is GORGEOUS! I somehow was drawn to the bow in your hair which makes an odd but really neat contrast with the dress. The model is really cute, well done, turning something hideous into something so cute.
Haha thank you! I do have several duct-tape mannequin tutorials bookmarked on my computer, just haven't gotten around to doing it yet!
Oh! I am so excited about this project! It took far longer than originally planned, but I am thrilled with the results!
A couple months ago I bought this giant caftan while I was thrifting:
I picked the caftan because I loved the print, and I intended to make a dress out of it. I thought that it would be a super easy reconstruction, I planned on just hacking off and then re-attaching a shortened skirt to a more fitted bodice. Until I got home, looked at the caftan again, and then realized that I had utterly failed one of my personal rules when it comes to thrifting: Always ALWAYS double and triple look over what you are buying.
About 3/4 of the back of the caftan was filled with tiny holes like this! Ugh ugh. At this point I almost gave up the entire thing for the rag pile. But I was already so wedded to the idea of making it into a dress that I decided I might as well try and figure something out, and if it didn't work- at least I'd made an attempt of it! Instead of winging it as previously planned, I decided to use a vintage pattern I'd bought on Etsy awhile back, Butterick 6601.
The pieces that I cut out were a bit wonky, because I was avoiding so many holes but still trying hard to match up the pattern of the fabric in all of the pieces. And, I am amazed to say, that (although not quite perfect) it ended up actually matching quite well!! My skirt is a bit straighter than the one in the pattern, due to lack of fabric, but other than that I managed to salvage enough fabric to make a dress that I absolutely positively love!
I didnt have quite enough fabric to do both sides of the pockets, so the front part is made out of fabric that I cut off the bottom of one of my favorite thrifted and reconstructed skirts.
One thing's for sure- I definitely could have used some sort of mannequin to fit on while sewing this, I tried this dress on so many times during construction that I have scratches up and down my legs from sewing pins! Thanks for looking!
One and a half years ago, I promised my three housemates that I would make them quilts for Christmas. Bad idea! I was happy and willing to put the time and effort necessary into the quilts, but trying to do anything other than schoolwork right before finals? Probably not going to happen!
So now, since I've graduated, I've been working on the quilts. Long overdue. I finished one back in November, and here is the second one! Hopefully the recipient will think that the time spent waiting was worth it
Elisha informed me that she wanted a quilt in her favorite colors, purple and green. So I obliged, and chose a simple square-diamond pattern to show off all the different prints of purple and green that I used!
If you look closely, you can barely see that the thread I used for the quilting changes from purple and green. Awesome! I was way excited when I saw this at the fabric store. I am happy with how it turned out, but I don't think I'd choose this thread again. It was very slippery and hard to manage sometimes. I've seen less slick multi-colored threads out there before, so next time I'll pick one of those.