This quilt has been in the works for about 4 months. I started it at the beginning of the fall semester last year and I just now finished it (just in time for the spring semester to start!). This is just shy of queen-sized, and it nearly killed my sewing machine -- as I was stitching the very last of the stitching around the border my machine seized and just refused to stitch! It's in the shop now, awaiting maintenance... hopefully it's not dead for good!
So, this isn't jewelery that I made, but it is absolutely related to jewelery! I decided to make a necklace board to store my necklaces instead of having them hang off the corner of my mirror. I'm starting to amass a sizable collection, but I wanted something that would hold what I have and still allow me to grow. I ended up with the gorgeous board that will let me almost double my collection! I think I might plan some kind of earring storage to go along with it.
Essentially, I picked up a 26-inch piece of moulding from Home Depot, some stain, some kitchen backsplash tiles, glue, and some cup-hooks. It took about an hour of actual work, and about 24 hours of drying time. It cost about $30 and I have plenty of materials left over to use on other crafts.
I love love love this photo... the light really sets off the reddish undertones in the stain that I used! This one is also a little more true to the colours in the tile.
I have a huge basket that holds all my 'current projects' fabric. For longer-term storage, I have a few large rubbermaid locking containers that I keep my fabric in. One container is dedicated to 1+ yard pieces, and another container is dedicated to sub-1-yard and scraps. Not sorted by colour, but larger pieces tend to be on the bottom and smaller pieces on top.
That is absolutely gorgeous! I've been quilting awhile, and I pretty much stay away from this kind of quilt because I'm afraid I'll screw it all up!
I would definitely border it with the lighter blue hexes and then the dark blue. I think if you use a solid colour for the dark blue it'll be a nice offset to the busyness of the pattern and it will help to draw the eye in. I can't wait to see more!
I would probably use the fleece you already have, but instead of making squares for the backing I'd use long strips. You'd still get a nice themed back piece without it being as busy as the front. If you've already cut a large amount of squares, you could work them into the long strips so there's the squares you have, and then rectangles. That way what you have doesn't go to waste, but it isn't overwhelming, either.
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! This has definitely been more helpful than google. I think I'm going to try a little bit of everything... I like the idea of using paint in some fashion (though I've never done it before), and the shiva sticks sound like something that might get me really close the feel I'm going for. And I will definitely take a trip down to my library. Hopefully I'll have something to show you all soon.
I'm not too worried about weakening the fabric since it's going to be used in applique and will have fusible backing on it, which should do a pretty good job of making sure it doesn't fall apart. I'd never heard of trompe l'oeil... I looked it up, and I am nowhere near that artistic/spatially inclined.