So, about four months ago some friends of mine announced they were expecting a baby in November. About two months ago the date for the baby shower was fixed as today (October 16). About one month ago I started working on this quilt. When did I actually finish it? Oh, today, of course, but not just today: at the baby shower
. Because I am that good.
I *almost* had it done on time - I just had about eight inches of binding left when I had to leave for the shower. So I stuck in in a gift bag, warned the mom-to-be about the pins when she opened it, and then sewed the rest of the binding as she was opening the other gifts. It all worked out in the end. And she (and the dad-to-be, who was also there) loved it, as they are both big soccer fans.
Here's the top. I thought about going plain black and white, but then I decided to add more colours.
And here's the back. I'm not sure if you can see, but I just quilted very simply around each hexagon, so the back has a pattern of hexagons on it.
The round binding had frankly terrified me going in, but it was astonishingly easy - actually easier than normal binding because there weren't any corners to worry about!