So, both my parents are turning 65 this year and I decided to make them a quilt as a joint birthday gift. I've been curious about the one-block wonder quilts for a while and decided that this was the perfect opportunity to try one. I might be slightly insane.
Anyway, after seven months of off-and-on quilting, I ended up with this:
And here's the original fabric:
I saw the panel idea on another one-block wonder quilt online and liked it because it broke it up a bit, so that's what I did. Some close-ups of the panels:
There are 216 hexagons in the quilt, for a total of 1296 triangles. Remind me not to make another one of these for a while! Some close-ups of the hexagons:
For the back I had some of the original fabric left over, so I used that in the middle. The first bird border around it is the half-hexagons that didn't make it onto the front, while the second bird border is the strips I had left after having cut the strips from the fabric repeats.
A friend of a friend commissioned me to make a quilt for her two-and-a-half-year-old daughter. When I asked her what sorts of things she wanted, the mom said "she likes dragons and fairies and castles". So that's what I did.
This, by the way, is the girliest quilt I've ever made. Normally when I make quilts I can use some fabrics I've got at home. I had to go out and buy all the fabrics for this quilt. I didn't have anything pink and only a little bit of dark purple (which I used for the dragon on the side) and no light green. (The colours were requested by the mom to match the daughter's room).
Some friends of my husband's were doing a fundraiser recently and I offered to donate a quilt as a raffle prize. I wanted to do something in fairly neutral colours as I didn't know who would win it and what their tastes/decor might be. I determined I had an absurb amount of brown and green fabrics, so I went with those as my primary colours and a cream as the background.
I used the Tilting Four Patch block from Quilter's Cache. Being lazy, and more importantly not owning a printer, I didn't print the triangle template and just kind of winged it. That probably made it take a little longer than it otherwise would have, but I got it done in about two weeks. I did very simple quilting, just lines through the squares.
Maybe we should all show our bloopers and works in progress. Mine would show me ripping out stitches and re-cutting pieces. I love sewing a perfect seam only to realize that I've sewn the white-on-white triangle wrong side up! Or that I should have cut the paper-piecing segments 1/2" larger. Aargh!
Heh. Making the Eccentric Star block for carolmb, I realized I had sewn one corner backwards. So I ripped it off, turned it, and resewed. Then I realized that I had somehow overlooked the part where the pattern was for a 9" square. So I calculated the new sizes I would need, cut them, sewed them...and sewed the same damn corner backwards. Re-enter the seam ripper. Sigh.
Also, now I have this 9" Eccentric Star block sitting on my crafting table just begging me to do something with it.