Two friends of mine are expecting their first child. Since they're huge theatre and Shakespeare fans (they actually met when they were cast as Romeo and Juliet in their local community theatre production!) I went with a Shakespearian theme for the baby quilt I made.
A couple of my friends who live overseas (Australia and Germany) had babies in the fall/early winter. I had too many quilts to make for Christmas to get quilts done for them at the time, but I finally got around to them now. I just kept them very simple.
Just ignore my feet in the pictures below.
Quilt 1: Shadow Box
This is a technique I'd been meaning to try for a while, so I took this opportunity. It was super easy and I like the effect.
Quilt 2: Framed squares
I just stumbled across this one online and decided to try it. The original pattern had nine-patches in the middle, but I just went for solid squares.
(the Canada-themed background is a bit of a joke, as we used to refer to each other by our countries of origin)
My oldest niece turned 10 this fall, and for her joint birthday and Christmas gift I made her a quilt for her new double bed. The idea from her mom had been that this would be her bedspread for the next 5-6 years at least. But she's at that age when she's half teen but also still half kid, so when it came time to pick the pattern for the quilt, the kid in her said "I want a puppy quilt!".
We reached a compromise where I would use dog fabric but on the back, so she could have that side up when she wanted it but have the other side up when she outgrew the puppy love.
She picked the colours (they match her new room) and had given me about 10 patterns she liked to choose from, so I chose one for the front and then a different one for the back that kind of broke up the dogs, because I found the idea of a solid dog fabric backing a bit overwhelming.
Here's the top:
And the back (sideways, unfortunately):
She absolutely loved it and I think likes the flower side better than the puppy side.
So, both my parents are turning 65 this year and I decided to make them a quilt as a joint birthday gift. I've been curious about the one-block wonder quilts for a while and decided that this was the perfect opportunity to try one. I might be slightly insane.
Anyway, after seven months of off-and-on quilting, I ended up with this:
And here's the original fabric:
I saw the panel idea on another one-block wonder quilt online and liked it because it broke it up a bit, so that's what I did. Some close-ups of the panels:
There are 216 hexagons in the quilt, for a total of 1296 triangles. Remind me not to make another one of these for a while! Some close-ups of the hexagons:
For the back I had some of the original fabric left over, so I used that in the middle. The first bird border around it is the half-hexagons that didn't make it onto the front, while the second bird border is the strips I had left after having cut the strips from the fabric repeats.
A friend of a friend commissioned me to make a quilt for her two-and-a-half-year-old daughter. When I asked her what sorts of things she wanted, the mom said "she likes dragons and fairies and castles". So that's what I did.
This, by the way, is the girliest quilt I've ever made. Normally when I make quilts I can use some fabrics I've got at home. I had to go out and buy all the fabrics for this quilt. I didn't have anything pink and only a little bit of dark purple (which I used for the dragon on the side) and no light green. (The colours were requested by the mom to match the daughter's room).
Some friends of my husband's were doing a fundraiser recently and I offered to donate a quilt as a raffle prize. I wanted to do something in fairly neutral colours as I didn't know who would win it and what their tastes/decor might be. I determined I had an absurb amount of brown and green fabrics, so I went with those as my primary colours and a cream as the background.
I used the Tilting Four Patch block from Quilter's Cache. Being lazy, and more importantly not owning a printer, I didn't print the triangle template and just kind of winged it. That probably made it take a little longer than it otherwise would have, but I got it done in about two weeks. I did very simple quilting, just lines through the squares.