It's my first post with pics on Craftster! I've been teaching myself how to sew and to make quilts and, as is typical for me, I have the attention span of a six year old boy. So somehow, I now have three yet-to-be-quilted quilts in various stages of development.
This first one is the one that's under major time-crunch. My SO's advisor just had a baby and I wanted to do something for her. I enlisted the help of my SO and I think that might have been a mistake on my part... whenever we go to fabric stores now, he paws at fabrics and asks if we could have any use for "the cutest turtle print ever", etc. (Unfortunately, he's got an irrational fear of pressing because, as a child, his mother told him he couldn't iron his own clothes because he'd surely burn the house down. But he's willing to rip seams and cut fabric, so I can't complain too much.) I REALLY should've insisted that we do a simple nine-patch quilt but he didn't like the ways those looked (sigh) so we ended up copying an appliqued elephant design from... a book whose title I cannot currently recall. We were in our local fabric store for two hours because we couldn't come to an agreement on fabrics! (Would've been easier if I hadn't been dead-set against anything too girly. He kept on going to the pinks, I kept on shooting his choices down...) This is where we're at at the moment:
(Really, I'm capable of better photos than this but I took these quickly to show to some of my friends, who are all highly amused that I would do something as domestic as sewing. I'll have better photos when they're done!)
I think the backing is a little on the fug side but the animal print was what we agreed on (this took another hour at another store)... and then I got home and realized that I hadn't gotten enough of it. So there was some very haphazard improvisation involved.
This second quilt... is really the first quilt. After my SO picked out the elephant design, I decided it would be a good idea to do a dry run on a quilt we would keep, made out of fabric I already had on hand... although it took us at least three hours to agree on this design too. I think the pig is so much cuter than the elephant and I'm sort of upset that I hadn't yet discovered fusible interfacing at this point! Actually, doing this lil piggy taught me why people use interfacing... I'm all about the trial and error. A lot of trials, a lot of errors.
A pic of the pig part of the quilt... it takes up about the same proportion of space as the elephant in the other quilt:
Finally, I decided to do something a little more straightforward: a quilt for Quilts for Kids. I had been wanting to do some sort of non-fundraising volunteer work in the last few years but I rarely have the time or energy to do anything but stumble home at the end of the day. I was thrilled to read about Quilts for Kids! An opportunity to be craftsy AND help others? It's two birds with one stone! I had been doing other patchwork items for the past two months so I figured I could at least piece together a straightforward nine-patch. The nine-patch part was 94% fine. There's a bit of wonkiness here and there but generally, it looks good. Learning how to quilt in a small, un-airconditioned apartment on the other hand... that's been tougher going.
(...I don't think I'll be using Craftster photo hosting from now on. It really compressed the heck out of my already-not-fab photos.)
I've been holding off from even planning another nine-patch that I want to send in along with the above quilt... that'll be my reward for finishing these quilts. Once I finish these three, I get to start another quilt. Maybe even two...