I understand that feat, since I too make hats. The box size I have is about 2'x2'which makes hat photos near impossible. I've been thinking of screwing together some 1x1s to make a box size suited to me since the sides need to be removed anyhow. I first attempted this project with a larger box nearly 3'x3' and after the cutting, the sides collapsed! x.x
I am in an apartment, so just the difference of the daylight mocking bulb made a big color difference!
I dont know very much about the doll world, but I do know that ball-jointed dolls (BJDs) have a pretty large following on etsy, so if the clothes fit them as well as the barbie dolls it would be a good way to expand your demographic without changing the product.
It took me the better part of the week to make this guy...especially the feet and 'baggy look' of the pants. Naturally, the hair was time consuming as well.
I did him without a pattern. My goal at first was to come up with a body pattern ideal for me - which I must admit, Im pretty happy with it. I tried to write it as I went, but that got frustrating and confusing...but I'll try again next time!