finished full by individualfrog, on Flickr
Hi Craftster, long time no see. I was recently commissioned to make a wedding dress for a friend of mine. Over the past year I've worked with a bunch of wedding dresses and I wanted to make her something really special using some of the things I've learned by poking around inside them, but I was worried about making mistakes if I was 'learning by doing' on her dress and ruining the fabric or whatever. So I took the muslin for her dress and made a completely different dress around it using fabric I had lying around, to practice on. Structurally it's the same as her dress will be, but the effect is totally different. I think it came out really nice!
I took a bunch of process pics which I thought I'd share with you. It was a lot of fun to make this dress.
bodice muslin 2 by individualfrog, on Flickr
Here you can see the interlining; I just used muslin.
bodice first step front by individualfrog, on Flickr
All the layers of the bodice except the lining sewn together. I was originally going to shape the lace layer seamlessly but it didn't look good that way, so I just cut it exactly the same as the self. So this is interlining, grey cotton, and lace. I sewed the scalloped border of the lace into the princess seam; originally it was this way, but I decided I liked it better flipped toward the side seams instead of toward the center.
front before lining by individualfrog, on Flickr
Here it is sewn together with the skirt; I used black tulle to make the color match better and to make it a little more romantic-looking. My original plan was to cut out lace motifs and sew them into the tulle but after I spent hours cutting them out, I pinned them on it, and they looked bad, so I decided against it.
bodice back structure by individualfrog, on Flickr
Zipper is in, boning is in, waist stay is in. The waist stay is tacked to all the seam allowance to hold the dress tight to the wearer's body. Also in this picture: fodder for my next Goodreads review.
lining bodice by individualfrog, on Flickr
Putting together the lining. You can see one of the lace cutouts here, and a ribbon I was thinking of using as a belt, which I also decided against in the end. The buttons survived, though.
lining full by individualfrog, on Flickr
I think the lining looks nice enough to be a dress itself!
lining and waist stay right by individualfrog, on Flickr
The waist stay comes out through the back princess seam of the lining and looks pretty sweet if I do say so. (This is one of those things I learned from working on wedding dresses.) I also remembered to put in hanging straps for once in my life. Those were tacked to the interlining so it wouldn't just pull the lining up but would hold the whole dress.
finished bodice by individualfrog, on Flickr
And there's the finished bodice lined and the buttons on! These are metal buttons and according to the package cannot be washed or dry cleaned, so I guess if anyone ever buys this dress from me they'll have to cut them off everytime they clean the dress, like people did in the old days.
And that's the dress! I hope you like it, love to hear what people think. I think it would look nice on like Taylor Momsen or somebody, wearing combat boots and lots of eye makeup. I wish I had taken pictures without that black tulle in the background, maybe I will retake some soon and update this post (I have to borrow my brother's camera again). I'm hoping to make a few more dresses out of spare fabric this summer, and I'll be sure to post them if I do.