Project: bethany's birthday book / embroidery pattern folder
So... Once I'd planned out rough page layouts, I did all the backgrounds (watercolors), then bound them into an actual book using Coptic binding.
I did the actual illustrations seperatly because a) this gives a cool layered/textured feel b) this means that if you mess up a bit, you can redo without risking the whole page plus whatever is on the other side of the page c) you don't have to finalise layout until all the bits are in place
Then I just glued in the pictures, penned in the text, and voila!
I'm just putting thumbnails apart from my favourite page to save your sanity (and page loading time)
Front cover and title page:
And the story proper...
And the last page, which I left blank for mum & dad (who the present of a day out and theatre tickets is from) to write a message
Now, I don't think you can see too well in the picture, but I.arranged it so that the outside edge of each page was a different rainbow colour in order, so that when I bound it it came out with s, really cool looking spine - I was really pleased with how well that worked
Well, this ended up bit taking a month - we had to have birthday tea a week early because of scheduling shenanigans, so I had a mad rush to get the book finished... Which left me short of time for my NEWT!
So, I decided to do a chunk of my previous, set-aside newt too, which links in as it's also making a book. I sorted and catalouged my embroidery patterns into plastic wallets, used an old sampler to embellish front and back covers (no title yet at I couldn't decided how to do it), made some spacers and some dividers and bound the lot with Japanese stab binding (so it's possible to add more plastic wallets). Tbh it's a bit underwhelming in terms of the covers, but it'll do for now (this has been WIP for something like 2 years) until I come up with a better plan - they will be easy enough to remove and modify if I want. And the binding looks nice on my shelf!