My niece's 2nd birthday is today, and she recently fell in love with the Strawberry Shortcake cartoon, which she refers to as the "girls". So, I made her a whole outfit to wear for the party, but the star of the outfit were her painted shoes!
These were painted on tan canvas shoes with fabric paint.
This year, I made my family members cowls for Christmas on my loom. They were quick projects and could bang out one generally in a day with constant interruptions and unfocused work. I have just tons of yarn, so this was a great destashing project!
The first stitch used is called a garter stitch where you knit one row and then perle the next for a total of 5 rows. The next for the main part is called the 3 step stitch, and its very easy and fun. Here is a link to the tutorial I used for the 3 step stitch: http://www.loomahat.com/three-step-stitch/#comment-60955
My first one wasn't as nice because I didn't use the garter stitch to top and end it. But, I was still learning. I hadn't ever done any other stitches besides the basic on my loom before. They got better and better as I went along.
My daughter is just starting to learn to talk. I wanted to make her a fun book so she could learn to identify some of her family members and encourage her to talk. She loves books!
I started with a board book that I found at a thrift store. I put white paint on each page to block out the images so they wouldn't show through when I added my own. Using photoshop, I edited my pictures to the size I wanted and added the text to the bottom of each picture. I had them printed so that I would have a nice glossy page (my printer sucks). I had it printed on cardstock, but I wish I would have had it printed on regular paper. The cardstock made the pages a little bulkier than I wanted and makes the book not close all the way. Oh well! I cut out my pages and glued them on with mod podge. I tried coating the top of the page with mod podge but found that I just peeled off. It didn't like that paper much. So, I left the tops of the pages as is for the rest.
My nephew changed his room to a monster theme this summer, so I wanted to make him something to go with his new theme. I had a bunch of crazy fake fur on hand, so this was a great opportunity to use some of it up! I started by cutting out two squares. I cut out and pinned on my felt pieces for the eyes and mouth and zigzag stitched them on with my sewing machine. I sewed around the edges and left an opening for the fiberfil and then hand sewed the hole closed. Tada, monster pillow!
When my mom and were out in December, we went to Starbucks and she pointed out a super cute mug of a boy hanging from a balloon. I snapped a picture with the hopes of recreating it for her in a less expensive manner. I bought a plain mug and a pen what worked on ceramic surfaces and drew out my recreation. I altered it somewhat into a little girl and gave her pig tails like my daughter. We call my mom Nuni for grandma, and now Nuni has her little toddler on a mug.
Hi there!! I'm in a christmas exchange with my mommy group on facebook, and I just had to make my partner's son something. He loves The Cat in the Hat, so in comes in the shoes! These were plain black canvas shoes when I started. Using Tulip fabric paint, in lots of layers, I got these. I also personalized it a little more by adding his name to one side of the shoe. I'm really happy with how they turned out! Super excited for him to get them!
Hi there! For my partners in the Harry Potter Holiday Swap, I made each a little owl ornament for their trees. My mom saw them, and said that we also had to have a set for our own tree! These little guys are made out of FIMO clay and then painted with acrylic paint and coated in Mod Podge to protect the painting. They have an eyehole glued into the top with fun ribbon that I had on hand to hang them with. I'm so happy with how they turned out! The three on the left went to my partners while the three on the right are happily sitting on my rustic nature themed tree. ^_^ One day, they will go on a all Harry Potter themed tree, but I'm in need of many more HP ornaments before that will happen!
Hi there! One of my partner's in the HP Holiday swap loves Luna. So, in honor of her, I made these ornaments. I happened to have everything to make them on hand, which was super awesome! I bought the corks for another projects forever ago, but never ended up using them. They finally found their purpose. The corks have Luna quotes from the 5th book pasted on with mod podge, which I thought would be a unique touch to the cork ornaments.
Hi everyone! I really wanted to make some cross stitch ornaments for my partners in the HP Holiday swap. So I started in making my little guys, Ron and Dumbledore. I originally didn't know how I was going to frame the little cross stitches when I was done, but then I remembered seeing some canning jar lids and rings as frames and ornaments online somewhere. I loved the idea! So, here we are! I found the most rusted of the rings in my canning stash (since you really aren't suppose to use the rusted one for canning and because I love the antiqued look). I added some Christmas trim around the outside of the ring, and some string to make it an ornament. I'm definitely going to be making more canning lid ornaments in the future!
Yay! A completed cross stitch! They seem to me my nemisis lately! I've been working on one for my husband since near the beginning of the year and its still not done. Lately it's been eluding me further by completely hiding itself somewhere in the house. But, anyways, I digress. I made this little guy for the Enchanted Forest swap for my partner Silentblair (who is total awesomesauce, btw). Anywho, here it is, in all its completed glory: