My mom and I had just a TON of leftover white tulle from my wedding a good 7 years ago just laying around in the basement calling out for use. So, we decided to do a princess dress-up party for my daughter's 3rd birthday.
To start, we dyed a bagillion yards of tulle. We had red dye that was made for polyester and nylon. The other was just a regular blue fabric dye, but still worked just fine on our tulle. We boiled them outside on our gas camp range, rinsed a few times with cold. Afterwards I ran them through the wash to make sure all the extra dye was off the tutus so they wouldn't mess up any of the girls' clothes. Then we hung them outside to dry. We boiled different lengths at different times to get lighter and darker shades, and mixed the red and blue dyes together to make purple.
To make the tutus, I used wide loose woven headband material, sewn into toddler waist size circles. I used my rotary cutter to cut the tulle into 5" wide strips. I pulled and knotted the tulle through the headband material in two layers and then added a bow at the end on the back of each tutu. I made 12 tutus in total! Whew!!
The extra tulle (which there was a lot of), I used to decorate for her party. We were going to have the party outside, but it rained so we had to move it indside. I still got to do what I wanted with the extra tulle, though. We used our collapsible canopy (minues the fabric canopy part) and put it up in her playroom and draped tulle over it.
Thanks for looking!