Holy mother of god - this dress sucked big time! I really wanted to pitch it in the trash at one point, but I get kind of stubborn and it was going to be finished or I'd kill myself trying. Seriously - it was a McCall's Easy Stitch and Save (M5370) but I just had to make it harder on myself!!
I've mentioned before how much I really, really hate to gather. So I thought I'd get all sneaky and gather the tiers with elastic thread. Not such a brilliant idea. The top tier went on just fine, the second and third tiers required me to enlist an extra 2 and then an extra 4 hands so I could get it pinned evenly. And it doesn't really hang/twirl like it should. But dang it, it's finished!!
No action shots because my little model was super cranky. And as it turns out, it's way too long for her and a big in the bodice as well. I'm just packing it up for next year because there is NO WAY I'm pulling it apart to shorten all the tiers. I don't want to just pull the hem up more because I want the tiers to all have the same proportions.
I was 100% exasperated after my "easy" mc calls project - even if it was my fault that it became hard - and so I decided to whip up one of cheytown's button down to dress dresses...
Much easier, much faster and MUCH cuter! It only took me the morning yesterday. She wore it to the airport to go pick up my folks and seriously, about 5 different people asked me where I got it.
Cheytown, you rock and I am going to make many more of these dresses!