I wanted to post this in the recycle section but couldn't find the right place, but since I made it for my son I put it here... I used reminants from a thrift store and plastic bags I've been hoarding and voila. Super comfy.
ok so a lil something about how I made it now that I have a moment to do so. I got three pieces of fabric from a thrift store, one with polka dots for the top and one with stripes for the underside and a vinyl gator skin looking tan piece for the base. When I bought them they were in a bag so I got lucky they worked together.
The base piece was 55" long (it's about 14-16" high) so I just folded it right sides together and sewed along the edge to make it a circle shape. (If you haven't noticed yet, you'll notice soon, I did this gangsta instead of by the book). I took a big bag full of my smaller plastic bags and placed it inside the circle/base to give it shape and see how big it would be. Looked like this from the top.
I then took the top piece (blue with white polka dots) and layed it on the floor wrong side up. I placed the base on it to see how it measured up (it fit with plenty of room, which is what you want since the mushroom head needs to be bigger than the base...naturally) then removed it. The top piece was, let me think... 40" square and I took a pencil (cuz it was there) and drew lines(on the wrong side) to find my center at the 20" marks and in doing so there was a big penciled cross and the middle intersect is the center point, this is not usually necessary but you'll see why I did it in a sec.
I tied one end of a piece of embroidery thread to a thumb tack and tied the other end to my pencil making sure the distance between the 2 was 20". I then took the thumb tack and pushed it into the center mark and made a circle by pulling my pencil all the way around. I then cut the circle.
Here's the real gangsta part. I had my top piece still on the floor but flipped it right side up then I took my middle piece which I really don't know the size of, it had to be at least 50" square, but it didn't matter. I couldn't just make a circle and cut out the piece like a doughnut since the stripes HAVE to all come from the center. So I placed the base back on to see how much I needed to cover and then cut strips aprox. 12" x 4" (right side down)and placed them along the edge ..oo I think I have pic of this too... there was definite overlapping in the center. I do..here it is.
I pinned the pieces at the edges, how do I explain this, I wanted it to be like one big piece so I folded the edges in and pinned at the base so I could cut off the excess once I sewed it. Hope you get it. so I pinned them all together and sewed the "doughnut". Then I placed it right side down again and put the base on top and centered it and took the mighty pencil again and traced around the base. Took the base off again and trimmed the middle cirlce leaving about a half inch so I could attach it to the base.
Crap I forgot this part was tricky too. Once you wrap your mind around it, it makes sense but if you're like me..well, I sat on the floor looking like Pooh pondering for a good 20 min. before I went ahead with the next step. I'd rather take time to do it right than take extra time to do it over (which still happens anyways on occasion).
So I now pin the top to the middle along the outter edge (right sides together) and sew.
I then took the base, removed the bags, flipped it inside out..wait crap I have to pull a Pooh again...think..thin
k..think... ok here's my process.. if you take the base inside out and pin the base of the base(as you look at it NOW not how it will look later) to the center, it would be a big pain in the booty to sew. So instead:
you take the base (at this point I flipped it back to right side out)place it inside the circle opening of the middle piece, pull up the middle and pin the center of the middle along the TOP edge of the base and sew them together.
THEN you flip the whole thing right side out and stuff it. BAM! ...whew, that took almost as long to explain as it did to make. Hope it helps. -Sally