Class/Challenge/House Pride: Headmistress Challenge #1
Project Name: Small Cakes
Project Page Link (if available): none
Brief Description: The recipe for these small cakes was given to me by my mother. It is an old family recipe handed down for many generations.
½ lb Crisco (16 tbs)
1 ½ lb flour (6 cups)
½ lb butter
1 tsp salt
1 pt sour cream
1 heaping tsp baking powder
1. Put flour in bowl.
2. Mix in Crisco, butter, salt, and baking powder until Crisco and butter look like peas.
3. Add sour cream; mix lightly but not too smooth.
4. Put in refrigerator over night.
5. Roll out thick.
6. Smear with butter and Crisco; fold over.
7. Repeat step 5 until you can't fold over any more.
8. Refrigerate again overnight.
9. When ready to make cookies, cut off small portion and roll out thin.
10. Cut dough into squares and fill.
11. Add topping.
12. Bake at 400 degrees until done (golden ).
Filling (pecan or walnut): Chop nuts; mix in sugar to taste, grate a Granny Smith apple over all to make it moist.
Topping: Dip in beaten egg white and then finely chopped nuts mixed with sugar.