Well I'm a Hungarian so my family eats A LOT of Hungarian food. One of my all time favorites is szilvas gomboc (aka plum dumplings). These are delicious and great for desert, breakfast, and snacks all day. They are just AWESOME, and super easy to make. Keep in mind that all of these ingredients are approximate - some people like more dough, some like less.
What you need:
-About 16 plums, pitted. I've used both canned and fresh, either works. But if you use fresh I suggest more tart tasting ones.
-3 to 5 medium potatoes
-4 cups flour
-1 tsp salt
-sugar cubes (enough for all of the plums)
-Boiling water for potatoes
-Large pot of boiling water for dumplings
To make it:
1. Peel the potatoes and cook in boiling water until soft (this first part you're just basically making mashed potatoes)
2. Mash the potatoes up and add salt and the egg (DO NOT add any milk to the mashed potatoes, my dad did this once and it wasn't good!)
3. After those are well mixed slowly add the flour
4. Roll the dough out to about 1/2 inch thick (keep in mind that how thick the dough is is totally up to you - some prefer less doughy dumplings)
5. Cut into squares of roughly 4 inches
6. Place a sugar cube inside of each plum where the pit was
7. Place each plum on top of a dough square, and wrap the dough around the plum, roll it in your hands to get a good shape
8. As you finish each dumpling place it inside your large pot of boiling water, when the dumplings are done cooking they will float to the top - no need for timers!
9. Pour about 2 cups of breadcrumbs in a large frying pan and turn it on medium-low heat. As the dumplings float to the top place them in the pan of breadcrumbs. Roll them around to cover the whole thing.
10. When each dumpling is covered with breadcrumbs place them on a place for serving and pour the remainder of the breadcrumbs over them. Sprinkle a mixture of sugar and cinnamon for added sweetness.
The best thing about these is they keep for days, and they don't have that rich, sweet dessert taste. You can literally eat them with every meal! Hopefully some of you will try this out and like it.