I wasn't sure whether or not I should share this here, but since cooking AND glass art are both boards, I figured why not.
Hubby went to pull a delicious smelling dinner out of the oven last night and the glass bakeware shattered. Tthe house was cool, the oven was hot, and the only thing I could think of is that it was thermal shock gone horribly, terribly wrong. Glass was spread all over my kitchen-- some mediums sized shards were ten feet away from the oven!
Not only that, it shattered with enough downward force that a piece hit the oven window hard enough to shatter it too. Luckily, no one was hurt apart from a few scratches from cleaning up the glass, and a few small burns from the droplets of boiling liquid that flew all over the place. Kids and dogs are fine... at least, so far. I'm still finding glass on the floor, so hopefully everyone remains fine and manages not to step on it.
Anyways, yep. Dinner was ruined, the bakeware was ruined, and my oven is ruined. And it only added insult to injury that we ended up going out to McDonalds to eat last night, only to come home to a house that smelled delicious.
And yep... this was used according to directions, didn't have any chips or cracks, wasn't taken from freezer to oven, and was made my a nationally known brand (Anchor-Hocking).