On a rather sunny winter afternoon, I found a poofy, teal dress at a second-hand store for $3. Although presumably my size and from the 80's, it was actually too small to fully zip and made my Xhileration, a Target brand-not at all fromt he 80's. But it was only $3, so i purchased it, more as a joke-or potential project-than anything.
A month or so went by, with the dress hanging forlornly in my closet. Then, one day, a boy asked me to go to the Winter Formal dance at our high school. It wasn't very ahead of time, so i was in need of a dress. Luckily, i had a dress, and had resently purchased the materials-a metal zipper, bias tape, black tulle- needed to make it...fit.
So i ripped out the exisiting zipper and sewed on bias tape-for added strength-then reinstalled my new zipper, which added the .5-1" extra i needed. Then i cut off the old, cheap exsisting tulle of the dress and sewed on the new tulle(which i sadly cut a bit shorter than i wished i had).
The exposed zipper on the back:http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv167/binkerbutt/im%20ages/P7080139.jpg
Detailing of the front:http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv167/binkerbutt/im%20ages/P7080140.jpg
The back of the dress:http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv167/binkerbutt/im%20ages/P7080131.jpg
And the final dress:http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv167/binkerbutt/im%20ages/P7080119.jpg
All in all, i'm very pleased with the results-though i wish the dress would stay up a bit better.
ps-my date and i had a very enjoyable time at the dance.
Thanks for seeing! Any feedback is well-liked.