Here's the GALLERY
The concept is simple: decorate a rectangle of fabric with words and/or images that convey a personal prayer. It can be all fabric, or a mixed-media piece, it's up to you.
The prayer flag will be a finished size of 5" x 8", so it will be small and easy to mail in an envelope. This will be a NO EXTRAS swap. (If you and your partner both want extras, you can post pictures in the personal swap gallery). You may choose to have one or two partners.
There is a cool blog called The Prayer Flag Project
that is dedicated to these flags where you can read more on the topic. The original idea is that the prayer flag is hung outdoors to slowly deteriorate and release your prayer into the world. With that in mind, you can see that it is not expected to be a masterpiece of perfect stitching. Rather, it is an art piece that is thoughtfully and prayerfully made.
Here's the First Round Gallery
Here's the Second Round Gallery
We will use the article about them in Cloth Paper Scissors
as our guide; the instructions below are taken from that link:How to Make A Prayer Flag
1. Cut a piece of fabric to 5" x 11". Use material you already have on hand.
2. Fold the top down and stitch in place to create a 3" sleeve, making the flag surface 5" x 8".
3. Paint, stitch, embroider, appliqué, or collage the flag.
4. Add words, journaling, or symbols as desired. You can appliqué letters, add hand stitching, stencil with textile paint, or just write with a permanent marker.
5. Thread the flag onto a string or cord and hang it outdoors so the breeze will catch it and spread your intentions.
Details of swap:
--You will craft one prayer flag for each partner, keeping your partner’s preferences in mind. Extras are NOT allowed. If you and your partner want to send anything other than the prayer flag, please do not post pictures of those items in the swap thread (but you may post pictures in the personal swap gallery, if you like.)
--You will have three full weeks to craft and send, from March 3rd to March 26th, 2013.
-- Please post in this thread (or the gallery thread) at least once a week so we know you are still crafting with us.*PLEASE READ THIS!*
- No one like to be flaked on, so if you aren't sure if you can do this swap, don't sign up.
- You must get delivery confirmation if sending within the U.S., or a mailing receipt if sending elsewhere.
- If you must send late, let the organizers and your partner know ASAP.
- PM both
organizers and your partner when you send and when you receive.
- Please post photos of the package you receive in the gallery, and take pictures of what you make before you send it.
- HAVE FUN!
Limited to a certain number of people? Yes, 40
Restricted to people who all live in the same country? No
Additional age requirement? No
Craftster members who are organizing this swap: Leslieshappyheart and susanab
Sign-up date range: Feb. 23-March 3, 2013 (at 3pm EST)Date to send item by: March 26, 2013
Swap Co-organizers themselves meet these conditions:
- Has fully read the Swap Info Guide: Yes
- Has successfully completed two swaps as a participant: Yes
- Is not organizing more than three swaps right now: Yes
- Is at least 18 years old: Yes
Swap Co-organizers will check each participant to make sure they meet these conditions:
- Has been a member for at least one month: Yes
- Has posted at least 15 times: Yes
- Has completed one swap successfully before signing up for multiple swaps at a time: Yes
- Is not currently signed up for more than five swaps: Yes
- Does not have any negative feedback: Yes
- Participant has agreed that he/she is at least 16 years old: Yes
- If within the US, understands that Delivery Confirmation number is required for this swap: Yes
- If outside the US, understands that a mailing receipt copy is required for this swap: Yes
If you have any questions about this or anything else, please ask your co-organizers .
If you want to participate, send the questionnaire below to both "susanab", and "Leslieshappyheart"QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:
Name of swap: Prayer Flag Swap Round 3
Your real name:
Mailing address including the country in correct shipping format:
Would you be willing to ship to an address outside your own country?
Confirm that you are at least 16 years old or, if not, that you have moderator approval (YES/NO)
1. Would you like ONE partner or TWO?
2. Do you have any allergies that are strong enough to prevent you from being partnered with certain people?
3. Do you have any other allergies or things to avoid (such as nickel or animal products)?
4. Do you have any allergens (pets, smoke) in your house?
5. List at least 3 words or phrases for your partner to choose from when making your flag:
6. Name some of your favorite images/themes that you would enjoy seeing on your flag:
7. Are there any images/themes that your partner should avoid?
8. What are your favorite colors, or color combinations?
9. Are there any colors your partner should avoid?
10. Please add a few more details about yourself and your tastes to help your partner get an idea of who you are. The more information you give, the better she can craft for you. Feel free to add a link to your Pinterest or Wist, or to particular items that would give her an idea of your taste.IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR QUESTIONNAIRE TO BOTH “susanab”, AND “Leslieshappyheart” VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE; DO NOT POST IT HERE.
Also, remember to read the Swap Info Guide
to find other rules about participating in a swapPARTICIPANTS
11. Ramona Q
--Welcome first-time swapper!!
21. AntidiggerPARTNERS!Leslieshappyheart's Group
Leslieshappyheart <--> Smmarrt
Leslieshappyheart <--> FoxyBlue
FoxyBlue <--> Ramona Q
Ramona Q <--> suereal
suereal <--> PerfectlyBohemian
blupaisan <--> cabaute
Abbeeroad <--> cabaute
Abbeeroad <--> wdicwg
wdicwg <--> deathbeforedishesSusanab's Group
susanab <--> PerfectlyBohemian
deathbeforedishes <--> pioneer9
pioneer9 <--> annigirl22
SonjaBoo <--> annigirl22
Antidigger <--> SonjaBoo
waggonswest <--> rscowtown
silentblair <--> alwaysinmyroom
alwaysinmyroom <--> Diesels_Mom