As part of my week-long Sophia Coppola themed sewing binge I printed out and stuck together and cut out the Marie skirt pattern from www.burdastyle.com, and it is much love. The skirt is sooooo easy. The 4 hour time estimation is genuinely how long it took me (which never happens with me and patterns). Actually, it did take a day, because I made my size according to the measurements first, and that was too big, so I decided to start again and make my proper size (my ready to wear number - one size smaller than what the measurements indicated) and it looks muuuuuch better.
I'd recommend against using interfacing on the waistband like the direction say. I used quite a heavy fabric (upholstery fabric...) and the band was narrow that with the interfacing as well I had trouble folding/ ironing it down.
Also just be aware that the space for your legs to come out is not very big. It's like a hobble skirt. Wearing it out last night I was taking two little steps for everyone else's one. I can't pull the skirt up past about my mid-thighs. Any super-curvy gals thinking of making it, I'd recommend a little re-draft of the pattern to make the lower circumference bigger.
But I do really, really like it. Cost $15 all up (fabric was remnanted).
it's another BBW dress, but i modified the neckline. much pleased with how it looks. i think i'm done with simplicity 3835 now. three dresses out of one distinctive pattern is enough for any girl. though when i went shopping today i kept being drawn to dresses that i realised were essentially 3835 reworked (narrower facing, wider facing, different sleeve shape, etc).
this is my third go at simplicity 3835 (i haven't photographed the second, andthe first is floating about here somewhere). i'm not sure if i like it, or if i look like i'm wearing a curtain. also, the neck facing at the back is such a mess! i need some hooks and eyes to fix it up, and i ended up handsewing quite a bit.
the ties and the neck facing are lined in purple, which looks absolutely awesome, if i say so myself. there's a pic of that on my blog.
i made this out of some cotton i got on clearance, and the red poly/ cotton print was the first fabric i ever bought to sew with as an adult (i don't want to think about the dinosaur print and terrifying psychadelic polyster i thought was totally cool when i was 14).
despite the dim picture and the unironed hem, this is actually a very cool dress. it's super comfy, and got me lots of compliments.
and i put a zip in okay, all by myself! First zip unaccompanied, second zip ever. though good ol' mum gave me some tips for next time.
i found that the heels came up quite high on these, above the ankle/ to the top of my achilles tendon, but then i have quite a flat foot (as in, the distance between the ground and my ankle is not as great as for most people).
mah boyfriend got me a set of fat quarters for christmas (from moda's building blocks range. he's colourblind, but he knew i loved the tape measure fabric, and the store conveniently sold fat quarters in coordinating sets), and i decided they were destined for a needle roll.
i know there's a pattern in s'n'b, but i don't have a copy. i looked at someone else's, and got kind of confused. so i ended up drafting my own, based on a seriously fugly needle roll i already had. only this one has three layers of pockets and is twice as wide. it fits all my needles plus some other bits and pieces. it weighs a TON, even before i put stuff in it.
additional close up of the pretty pretty fabric on my blog, and i intend to post a tutorial sometime too, if anyone's interested. here's a tutorial.
i made the cowboy shirt variation. am tres pleased with it, though idon't think i'll make another shirt for a while. this was a weeny bit beyond my skill range, so became a little more scary and stressful than fun.
i made it out cotton aimed at quilters that i bought as a remnant when my closest spotlight closed down. so the fabric cost me about $1. pity the 'pattern' (book) cost about $30
oh, and for reference for her weird-assed sizing system, this is a medium, with the side seams taken in a few inches (but the armhole not altered because i don't have those Skillz), and the back made a little narrower, because i have a narrow back. oh, and made about an inch longer at the bottom too.
for pics of the super-secret embroidery and the thumb-ouchie i gave myself while putting the studs on, check out the blog.