I want everyone here to learn this very important lesson. Late last night, my kitty Vince accidentally swallowed a threaded sewing needle that had fallen on the floor probably several weeks ago. The emergency vet found it embedded in his esophagus, and was unable to remove it. I rushed him to vet after vet today, and no one was able to do anything but take more xrays, suggest yet another specialist, and give him more pain meds.
With full surgery he only had a 50/50 chance of survival, at a cost of over $2500. I had to make the decision to let him go peacefully and painlessly before the needle found its way into his heart or lungs. There was no third option.
It's amazing how something so small so carelessly overlooked can devastate, and how quickly it can happen. So please please please look over your crafting stashes and put anything that can possibly harm your pet securely out of reach, keep your pets out of the area while you're working with potentially harmful materials, and clean up after yourself thoroughly. I don't want anyone else to ever have to go through losing their best friend over one tiny sewing needle.
If anyone else has any experience with other craft supplies that can be harmful to your pets, especially the kind people wouldn't think of as harmful, please share them here. There is no reason for anyone else's pet to be injured or killed by our hobbies.